Managing Service Feature Size

Jump to solution
04-11-2016 01:58 PM
GavinMayeda
Occasional Contributor II

I am struggling with maintaining a reasonable file size when creating a map service/feature layer.  I will begin with saying that I am very new to this, and have only been working with ArcGIS Online for a couple of weeks now.

I am creating a pgdb that includes my parcel base as a feature class.  This includes a set of data that has been requested by our appraisal staff so that they can perform different queries in a web application. After being published as a map service, the total size is 285Mb which is far bigger than I would like to have it since it is eating up 70 credits a month for storage.

Is there a simple way to compact this data?  I have tried using a zipped database, which compacts the data to 70Mb, but when it is used as a map service it returns to it's original 285Mb size.

Unfortunately I cannot attach the data due to it's contents.

As always, thank you for any suggestions or insight in advance!

Dell OptiPlex 9010

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

8.0 GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS

AMD Radeon HD 7570

Dual Dell U2414H Monitors

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Gavin,

The feature service size is related to the amount of data contained in your feature class. Even if publishing from a zipped format, the data will be extracted when it is published as a hosted feature service. If you are looking to reduce the storage size, try investigating if you can reduce the size of the feature class (data).

Is there any unneeded attribute data that is being published? How detailed is the geometry in your feature service? If the geometry can be simplified (depending on your needs), it may reduce the overall size.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Gavin,

The feature service size is related to the amount of data contained in your feature class. Even if publishing from a zipped format, the data will be extracted when it is published as a hosted feature service. If you are looking to reduce the storage size, try investigating if you can reduce the size of the feature class (data).

Is there any unneeded attribute data that is being published? How detailed is the geometry in your feature service? If the geometry can be simplified (depending on your needs), it may reduce the overall size.

-Kelly

GavinMayeda
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Kelly,

Once again I have fallen victim to user error   It turns out that my data store folders were not registered correctly.  Once I fixed that my service is now a very manageable 8kb.

Thank you for replying!

0 Kudos
pnpferreira
New Contributor II

Could you explain me better how you fixed that? I didn't understand the part that you refer your data store folders in ArcGIS Online.