Is it possible to update a web style shared from ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
08-15-2022 06:53 AM
Labels (1)
MappyIan
Occasional Contributor II

We have a number of 2D web styles that have been created in ArcGIS Pro and then published to ArcGIS Online. We followed the instructions in this blog post by @RussRobertshttps://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcwatch/create-2d-symbols-and-publish-them-to-arcgis-online/ 

What I'm trying to do is update one of the published web styles but I don't seem to be able to do it.  I can download the .stylx file from ArcGIS Online, edit it and then re-publish it as a new web style but I'd rather not have multiple versions of the same styles so I'd prefer to be able to update the existing web style.  Does anyone know if this is possible?  I can't find anything in the documentation that explains if you can or cannot do this but I can't imagine I'm the first person to try and do this.

If I was to publish a new version of the original web style, then delete the old version of the same style would that break any outputs (web maps, dashboards etc) that use the original (old) version of the web style?  Or is that the way to manage web styles?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

What version of Pro are you using? 

with ArcGIS 3.0 there was a fix that went in and you should get a prompt when you have a desktop style file and you share from Pro with the same name you should get the warning prompt a style already exists.

RussellRoberts1_0-1660571957470.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

What version of Pro are you using? 

with ArcGIS 3.0 there was a fix that went in and you should get a prompt when you have a desktop style file and you share from Pro with the same name you should get the warning prompt a style already exists.

RussellRoberts1_0-1660571957470.png

MappyIan
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @RussRoberts, we're still using v2.9.3 of Pro.  That's great that there is the ability to overwrite in 3.0. Thanks for the prompt response 👍.

0 Kudos