Increasing the character limit in free text fields

Jump to solution
04-04-2023 01:49 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I've seen similar questions relating to 123 and other specific applications, but I wondered whether it's possible to increase the character limit in a standard AGOL form. I want the general public to be able to comment, and 255 characters is quite limiting. Is there a way, either to increase this, or to create some form of work around by adding contiguous fieds etc?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The default character limit for a text/string field is 255. You can change it when creating the field, in most moments when you create the field.

All good re form, most data entry is restricted by the length of the field itself. Survey123 can add another layer.

You can't extend a field length. You can only create a new field. If you are in Pro, you need to:

1. Backup your data
  2. Create a new, temporary field
  3. Field calculate the data from your current field to the new one
  4. Delete the original field
  5. Create a new field of the same name, but increase the length
  6. Field calculate the data from the temp field to the re-created one
  7. Delete the temp field.

You don't need to do the long workaround if you have not collected any data.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/modifying-field-properties....

Are you using a feature class in a file geodatabase?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You can increase it BEFORE creating the field. Once the field is created, you can only delete the field and re-create it with the new string length.

You can do it at multiple points:

• Survey123 Connect Esri custom columns for field length
  • Survey123 web form - there is a schema review button you can modify the fields/types/lengths prior to publish
  • ArcGIS Pro database prior to publishing a feature layer
  • ArcGIS Online 'add field' in the item details page (change the default)

For an 'agol form' I assume you mean Field Maps forms (which have gone to other apps). This is data driven, meaning you need to set the field length as desired on creation.

SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there, thanks for that. I'm still puzzled as I thought that the character limit in Pro was 255. I've actually just tried to extend this to 400, and it seems to have given me 384, though I've not exported to AGOL yet.

As far as the 'Form' goes, no, this isn't in Field Maps, since I need to give the general public access; I'm just creating the simple 'Edit' form as an AGOL widget. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The default character limit for a text/string field is 255. You can change it when creating the field, in most moments when you create the field.

All good re form, most data entry is restricted by the length of the field itself. Survey123 can add another layer.

You can't extend a field length. You can only create a new field. If you are in Pro, you need to:

1. Backup your data
  2. Create a new, temporary field
  3. Field calculate the data from your current field to the new one
  4. Delete the original field
  5. Create a new field of the same name, but increase the length
  6. Field calculate the data from the temp field to the re-created one
  7. Delete the temp field.

You don't need to do the long workaround if you have not collected any data.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/modifying-field-properties....

Are you using a feature class in a file geodatabase?

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
Yeah, most 'forms' are limited by the fieldlength.

When you create in ArcGIS Pro, you should be able to specify the field
length and it should persist from the feature class to a hosted layer.

If you're using csvs or shapefiles maybe your experience could be
different. Would recommend file geodatabase.
0 Kudos