Identifying AGOL data dependencies?

Jump to solution
04-27-2023 01:21 PM
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

I am planning to delete some hosted feature layers, but I'm wondering what resources are using them, such as webmaps, dashboards, StoryMaps, ExB, and Web App Builder apps. My resources are all shared to my AGOL Org (not public), so anyone in my org can discover and consume them without me knowing it. I marked my hosted feature layers as deprecated, but that doesn't show up for end users when the data layers are in a webmap, dashboards, etc., so it's a bit of a tree falling in the forest.

The basic question is - how do we do an orderly clean-up of resources on AGOL so we have some confidence that we account for inter-dependencies between items? I'm thinking of some admin scripts, but maybe there's something in Pro or the web interface to find these?

• Is there some tool that will find other resources using my hosted feature layer? A typical workflow is layer>>webmap>>app, so once I identify the webmaps, I might have the same type of question about the various apps.
  • Or working it from the other end, is there a way to go through all my org's items and find any that have deprecated dependencies, such as hosted feature layers and webmaps?

Lastly, I should note that I am not an admin in my org, so I cannot see items that aren't shared to the org or a group I'm in. I can, however, ask that an admin compile this info for me.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have had success using the python/Notebook from here.

Though, for some reason, the version I ended up with had more 'apptypes'.

apptypes = ['Application', 'Dashboard', 'Story Map', 'Web Experience', 'Feature Layer', 'View']

R_

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have had success using the python/Notebook from here.

Though, for some reason, the version I ended up with had more 'apptypes'.

apptypes = ['Application', 'Dashboard', 'Story Map', 'Web Experience', 'Feature Layer', 'View']

R_

davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

This answer works, or at least gives me a good starting point to customize. I should note that 'Application' covers a bunch of different (sub)types. When I did a query for 'Application', I got these unique values:

['Desktop Application Template', 'Hub Site Application', 
 'Desktop Application', 'Web Mapping Application', 'Mobile Application', 
 'Application', 'Native Application']

More info:

• Here are the supported item types in the API. They are in the 3rd column. The list is nicely broken down into categories of maps, applications, tools, layers, etc. I suspect there are other types that have a set of sub-types, but needs further testing.
  • The API's guide on content search is here.