Hosted Feature Layer - Create Index taking hours

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
MobiusSnake
MVP

Hi all,

Earlier today I created an attribute index on a table in a hosted feature layer.  It included a single text column with a length of a hundred characters, nothing special about it.  This would've been about four hours ago, and I'm still seeing this message:

Creating index
Indexes may take a moment depending upon the amount of data.

I've reloaded the page, closed the browser, come back later, it's still showing this message.  The table only has about a hundred records in it so I would've expected it to be completed within a few seconds, certainly wouldn't expect it to take several hours.

Using my browser's network tools I can see it's checking the table's addToDefinition endpoint and coming back with this:

{
    "submissionTime": 1714413410480,
    "lastUpdatedTime": 1714413410480,
    "status": "Pending"
}

Both timestamps are about four hours ago as I'm posting this.

Has anyone seen this?  Is there a timeout or a way to cancel the operation?  I feel like something has gone very awry, and it's blocking me from creating additional attribute indexes.

Thanks!

Edit - To follow-up on this, it's now the next day and this is still happening.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

I have seen this issue from time-to-time as well and would also be interested to see if there are any explanations or workarounds. I haven't had a chance to try to pinpoint why it happens because it is sporadic. I'd say 80% of the time I can create the indexes without issues. In my case it happens on an AGOL-hosted feature layer with approximately 15,000 points. I've seen it when creating attribute and full text Indexes for text fields of 100-255 characters.

The "creating index" occasionally runs for a long time, sometimes even over night. Sometimes it eventually does finish. Other times it doesn't but then I am able to overwrite the AGOL-hosted feature layer with an update from Pro (which automatically deletes indexes) and then the "create index" works fine on the updated layer.