Field matching while appending data

Jump to solution
07-28-2022 06:56 AM
mikAMD
by
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to append data to an existing hosted feature layer.

The table contains the exact same field names, then I extract only the rows I want and try to append it with the update/append data option in AGOL. However, there is a popup complaining that some fields do not match:

mikAMD_0-1659016465538.png

How to ensure AGOL recognizes the fields?

I tried with a geojson and a zipped shapefile (fields recognized are not exactly the same depending on the format).

Here is a screenshot of the extracted table fields

mikAMD_1-1659016534180.png

and the fields in the hosted feature layer

mikAMD_2-1659016568219.png

Only difference is "geom" in the original table and "Photos And Files" in AGOL. Could this cause a problem?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikAMD
by

Hi,

I was able to append the data with the addFeatures endpoint in the REST API, but I left the question open because I thought more information on this process in AGOL would be helpful in any case.

Here is the entire process that I did.

I retrieved the layer in question (which was originally uploaded to AGOL and updated with Field Maps) with the REST API (endpoint query) and inserted it in PostgreSQL with PostGIS enabled. I then drew some new features (polygons) while connected to this table in QGIS. I did not use ArcGIS Pro.

I tried then converting the new features (rows) to a zipped shapefile and a geojson, and both did not give a perfect match when trying to append as shown in the capture in my original post.

I have not tested this method on other datasets.

Concerning your question : Does the dialogue give you the ability to manually match the fields? The answer is no and that is definitely a big problem! I could not reassign the Match Field to other field or select a field for the ones that had no match. I guess if I could have changed this, I would not have posted this question 🙂

Thank you!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello there, Thank you for posting!

I had a couple of clarifying questions:

• How are you extracting the rows that you want?
  • Could you confirm if you are using ArcGIS Pro for this workflow, or is this entirely within ArcGIS Online?
  • Where is the data originating? A ShapeFile .zip, or a Geodatabase upload?
  • Has this method worked on different datasets with a similar process?
  • Where was this data created originally? How was this data uploaded to ArcGIS Online?
  • Does the dialogue give you the ability to manually match the fields?

Looking forward to assisting you!

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
mikAMD
by

Hi,

I was able to append the data with the addFeatures endpoint in the REST API, but I left the question open because I thought more information on this process in AGOL would be helpful in any case.

Here is the entire process that I did.

I retrieved the layer in question (which was originally uploaded to AGOL and updated with Field Maps) with the REST API (endpoint query) and inserted it in PostgreSQL with PostGIS enabled. I then drew some new features (polygons) while connected to this table in QGIS. I did not use ArcGIS Pro.

I tried then converting the new features (rows) to a zipped shapefile and a geojson, and both did not give a perfect match when trying to append as shown in the capture in my original post.

I have not tested this method on other datasets.

Concerning your question : Does the dialogue give you the ability to manually match the fields? The answer is no and that is definitely a big problem! I could not reassign the Match Field to other field or select a field for the ones that had no match. I guess if I could have changed this, I would not have posted this question 🙂

Thank you!