Error with deleted fields

Jump to solution
04-21-2023 09:26 AM
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I have a hosted feature service from which I deleted two fields in an ArcPro session. Now when  Edits could not be saved. When I try to update a feature or create a new on I get a message saying "Edits could not be saved,. Invalid Column Name" and lists the two columns I deleted. 

Any idea how to fix this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Clubdebambos

Hi @clt_cabq 

We have had many issues with deleting fields in an AGOL feature service. Esri recommended to use AGOL when completing tasks like deleting a field in a hosted feature service rather than using ArcGIS Pro. We also had issues when using ArcPy to create and delete fields but have not had any since using the ArcGIS API for Python.

Are you able to open the attribute table in AGOL or Pro? If so, you can export the data and then overwrite the hosted feature service. Delete any fields you need before overwriting. If you have a data error and cannot access the attribute table, which is the issue we encountered, you can re-create the fields in AGOL or through the API. This will stop the data error and allow you to export.

We even had instances where the same field name existed twice in the hosted feature service, when we deleted only one was deleted and left us with a data error where we could not access the attribute table. We re-added the duplicate field name (which should be impossible to have), exported the data and overwrote the feature service.

~ learn.finaldraftmapping.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Clubdebambos

Hi @clt_cabq 

We have had many issues with deleting fields in an AGOL feature service. Esri recommended to use AGOL when completing tasks like deleting a field in a hosted feature service rather than using ArcGIS Pro. We also had issues when using ArcPy to create and delete fields but have not had any since using the ArcGIS API for Python.

Are you able to open the attribute table in AGOL or Pro? If so, you can export the data and then overwrite the hosted feature service. Delete any fields you need before overwriting. If you have a data error and cannot access the attribute table, which is the issue we encountered, you can re-create the fields in AGOL or through the API. This will stop the data error and allow you to export.

We even had instances where the same field name existed twice in the hosted feature service, when we deleted only one was deleted and left us with a data error where we could not access the attribute table. We re-added the duplicate field name (which should be impossible to have), exported the data and overwrote the feature service.

~ learn.finaldraftmapping.com
0 Kudos
clt_cabq

Thanks for your response - ultimately, I think that field management needs to be handled within AGOL rather than in ArcGIS Pro as you suggest. My suspicion is that using Pro to delete fields corrupted the service in a way that I couldn't recover. Fortunately, I was able to re-create the service from a backup copy of the data but without the extraneous fields.