Select to view content in your preferred language

Error: An error happened while appending the item within AGOL.

11-17-2023 02:34 PM
MeganWheatley
New Contributor III

I am trying to update data within AGOL and I have recently be getting this error for updating parcel feature layer. How can I prevent this error. It is interrupting my workflow. 

Please let me know. 

I did find this bug notice but it is not very helpful on finding a solution. 

BUG-000159161 for ArcGIS Online (esri.com)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Appending generally means adding new data?

It sounds like there is a schema mismatch between the data you are uploading and the target dataset.

Can you explain more on what you are doing? e.g. uploading a zipped dataset? csv? Does it fail if trying in Pro?

Add or update records?

0 Kudos
MeganWheatley
New Contributor III

Working on adding and updating the same schema for parcel viewers. I will just have to reupload the information. Because it is not going through on the update. It opens in pro with no issues at all. It has been quite frustrating. Have you dealt with this before? If so, what was your work around?

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

So you are:

1. Uploading a file to ArcGIS Online
  2. Going to an existing Hosted Feature Layer Item Details
  3. Clicking 'add and update features' to insert new feature and update existing.

Can you confirm the workflow? What is the input file type?

Generally this will occur when there is a misalignment between the uploaded file and the target layer. For example, you have a string field in a CSV that could exceed the length of the existing layer, or maybe it's a string value trying to be inserted into an existing integer field.

ArcGIS Online will check a sample of uploaded records to compare but it won't compare all until it executes the request. The onus is on you to ensure the uploaded data correctly matches the target schema. You can clean up the data or try to field map it - which may be easier in ArcGIS Pro.

More information on the considerations:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm#APPEND

Some examples of misaligned data types with CSVs and how it can cause issues:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/problem-generic-errors-from-uploading-and-published-cs...

You may be able to get a more specific error by monitoring the web traffic and seeing the server response to the request.

0 Kudos