Creating a point symbol of a specific real-world size

11-02-2023 01:33 PM
ScottDBjelland
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible, in ArcGIS Online, to create symbology for a feature layer of point data that shows/renders the points as a specific real-world size. 

The points will represent human locations in the field, and each location must be 300 yards from any other location. Is there any way to create a point symbol that  shows/renders a radius of 300 yards? I know that the geofences can alert someone when they get close to another feature, but I need my users to be able to see this represented as they look at a map with the point data on it.

Is it possible to use Arcade to create a symbol of a specific real diameter/radius?

Or really any way at all?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, no. With Portal, you can do this using a Hosted Map Image layer, but to get this to work in AGOL would require an additional layer showing buffer polygons, which would need to be updated separately from the points layer. Still doable, but not as simple as you might want.

Arcade does have access to the $view_scale global in the symbology expression builder, but you'll find that even after a lot of fiddling, it still won't give you reliable results if you want real-world units.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ScottDBjelland
New Contributor II

Hello Josh,

That is unfortunate but I appreciate your reply and insight.

Best,

Scott

0 Kudos