Collaboration between Portal and AGO prompts for login?

08-30-2022 11:25 AM
DaveK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

I'm working to create a collaboration between our Portal and our AGO within my organization. We would like to have the data within the collaboration be referenced as opposed to copied. The goal of this project is to have users in the field collect data to the service within the collaboration which would sync back to our enterprise through the Portal. I have gone through the setup process and am able to see the service I shared from my Portal within my group within AGO. The issue comes when I try to open the layer in a webmap. The map prompts me for my Portal login. Is this typical behavior for a referenced collaboration? Is there any way to not have the user be prompted to login to view the data if they are a member of the group its shared to in ago? 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello @DaveK  - assuming that you want to use your AGOL org as the host and your Portal as the guest, and that you want to the Portal guest to Send Content by reference to your AGOL org group, you have to set the share level of all the layers in the Portal workspace/group to 'Everyone', and then set the sharing level for your layers in the AGOL group as appropriate.

As long as you have disabled anonymous access to your Portal, this should not be an issue.  This is what we do to send all of our data to our AGOL org for our Open Data site.

If you want the Portal guest to Receive Content from your AGOL org group, then it really doesn't matter.  You would have to enable anonymous access to your portal in order to NOT get a login prompt when you open the 'received' content in your portals' web map. You don't want to do that.

Typically, you would set up your field collection layer in your portal as I described in the first paragraph, and then have your field staff collect using a field maps form configured from a portal web map.  You could then see updates to the layer in agol depending on the sync frequency.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

This method of sharing creates an item in ArcGIS Online that points to the server URL. It does not copy the item or embed security. ArcGIS Online users will need to have access to the referenced server item; i.e. their own way of authenticating against portal or for the item to be shared to everyone.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/about-sharing-feature-layers-as-a-...

Distributed collaboration aside, the credentials could be embedded when adding the service to AGOL directly.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/add-items.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_1A21D51E1AFC41EA9974...

Please don't forget the kudos 🙂

0 Kudos