Cannot access web apps and dashboards in partnered collaboration

Jump to solution
04-14-2023 07:08 AM
ColinCampbell1
New Contributor III

Hi,

We've successfully set up a partnered collaboration in ArcGIS Online which lets users from both organisations access feature layers and web maps.  We're having issues however when it comes to the partner users being able to access our web map apps and dashboards share under the collaboration.  When they try to access these items they are prompted to log into our organisation which they cannot do as they are not members of our organisation (we use single sign on in just in case it's relevant).

Is this expected behaviour or should our partners be able to access these types of content?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Colin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinCampbell1
New Contributor III

Hi @ChristopherCounsell

Many thanks for this - it's really helpful.  I've managed to fix it thanks to the last link in you reply.  I changed the basemap and that seemed to have miraculously sorted it.  I don't think the basemap chosen (the Esri Imagery Hybrid) was the issue in itself as I've now switched it back to that and it's still working ok.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you confirm that you've shared the layers in addition to the maps/apps?

Also confirm that the users are in the groups (accepted invites) and can see all the necessary content in the group (layers, map and app). Test with a simple map first.

0 Kudos
ColinCampbell1
New Contributor III

Hi,

Yes all the layers and maps are shared and can be accessed, and the users are in the groups (they can access the data/maps fine and can see all the items in the group view).  It seems the only items that can't be accessed are those where the sharing partner's organisation name is in the item's URL (as it is with dashboards and web-apps).  In these cases the login screen for the sharing partner appears when they are opened.

In case it's relevant, the collaboration is actually between two separate AGOL accounts owned by my organisation.  They both use single sign on.  I'm an administrator in both (with a different login for each) and I'm the collaboration coordinator for that group on both ends.  None of the users on the recipient partner side of things (including me) can open these items.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

It should work:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/sharing-collaboration/answering-your-questio...

If the partner organization is using a different authentication system, does this affect the collaboration?
No. With partnered collaboration, the ArcGIS Online sharing model controls access to content regardless of using built-in authentication or SAML logins.

Which makes me think that there may be an issue with the way the apps are setup.

Have you embedded content in these apps? e.g. a website of https://www.shortkey.maps.arcgis.com/dashboards' in a story map? It will attempt to sign into shortkey.maps.arcgis .com, when the url should be maps.arcgis.com or the item that they can access via the group.

You might have better luck searching for this issue as described for public web apps, as it's essentially the same issue. E.g. the below post is for public content, and they identified the issue based on web traffic:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/public-web-app-requires-login/td-p/1064983

Esri support will be able to help explore the issue within your environment i.e. over screenshare or if you provide a login. Difficult for community if it's not public.

ColinCampbell1
New Contributor III

Hi @ChristopherCounsell

Many thanks for this - it's really helpful.  I've managed to fix it thanks to the last link in you reply.  I changed the basemap and that seemed to have miraculously sorted it.  I don't think the basemap chosen (the Esri Imagery Hybrid) was the issue in itself as I've now switched it back to that and it's still working ok.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos