Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I add pop-ups to a tile layer in the new Map Viewer and/or JavaScript API v4.x?

12-06-2022 07:58 AM
BillSchlatter
Occasional Contributor

In the old ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, it was possible to associate a featurelayer with a tile layer, making it possible to click on the tile layer and get pop-ups from the featurelayer without having to add the feature layer to the map. Is there a way to do this in the new Map Viewer? 

As far as I can tell, this functionality existed in ArcGIS API for JavaScript v3.x, but does not in 4.x. Or at least, there isn't a straightforward way to do it in 4.x that I could find. If anyone knows of a way to do this in the JavaScript API, I'm willing to go that route, though an off-the-shelf solution would be preferred. I'm also willing to be patient if this (or something similar) is a feature known to be in an upcoming update that will land before the old-school Storymaps templates are fully sunsetted.

For context, I'm trying to migrate a web app built using the old-school Storymap Series template to something that isn't deprecated. The map uses a combination of tile layers and feature layers for performance reasons, as it includes multiple layers based on multi-county road and pedestrian networks. Switching to just feature layers causes major performance issues and often fails to load all features. Unfortunately, tile layers configured in the old Map Viewer don't have working pop-ups in the new Map Viewer or any product that depends on it. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HayleyL
New Contributor II

Hey @BillSchlatter did you ever find a workaround this? I am experiencing the same issue

0 Kudos