Batch geocoding from excel 'There was an error'

02-07-2024 12:15 PM
maya_fromstein
New Contributor III

I am trying to batch geocode a sheet within an excel file of ~400 attributes using the City, Postal Code, and Country fields. The data are from ~10 different countries, so the postal codes have different formats depending on the country (and one without any postal code, turns out), and some of the city names are in their respective languages. I've manually cleaned the data so that each attribute has all three fields filled out, and in as consistent a format as I can given that different countries have different postal systems.

I've tried using a custom locator I created as well as the regular ArcGIS one, and each time it takes a long time to create an empty feature service and tell me 'There was an error'. There's no link to click, no error code to, nothing (that I can understand) to troubleshoot with.

I was successfully able to isolate the Canadian attributes and batch geocode them into a feature layer, but since we have upwards of 15ish countries I'd love not to have to make a new feature layer for each just to merge them.

Does anyone know either:

• how to find out more about what this error is so I can fix it? 
  • if it's possible (and if so how) to batch geocode when the attributes are from different countries? (so the postal codes don't have a single uniform format)? 

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Does the same error occur when geocoding the spreadsheet in ArcGIS Pro with the custom locator you created? What role did you use to build the custom locator?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/create-multicountry-locators-using-coun...

0 Kudos