Include synchronicity issue for each item in Review Sharing window

06-16-2023 10:10 AM
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

When re-saving a web map, I often get prompted to synchronize the sharing of the items contained in it, and I'm wondering if anyone else would like to be able to see the reason that each item is considered out of sync?

Viewing the full details of each offending layer has been more effort than it's worth to this point, especially since it is difficult to remember exactly how the web map and non-offending layers are shared.

I was initially going to post the idea of showing the sharing level for each item, but since synchronicity involves more than that (as noted in the window, see attached), that wouldn't always tell the full story.

Thanks,
Derek

1 Comment
MikeMinami

The 'Review Sharing' window alerts you to layers in the map that may not be visible to your intended audience. Commonly, this is because you're sharing your map at a particular level or to groups that the layers aren't also shared with. This appears to be your case based on the image you attached. All layer sharing can be updated to what the map is shared at when you click 'Update sharing'.

You can also check the sharing level of each layer in the preview pane. Just click on a layer. The figure below that highlights the current share level of a particular layer displayed in the pane. However, the preview pane doesn't go into great detail about the difference in sharing between the map and each layer.

There are other cases that this window will alert you to. For example, you won't be able to update the sharing level for layers you don't have permission to update. Another alert informs you when you're sharing a map publicly that contains living atlas layers that require a subscription to view. These kinds of messages are displayed much more prominently, as highlighted below.

MikeMinami_0-1686957133212.png

Can you expand on what additional information you'd like to see here?

Is it enough to know that layer sharing will be updated to be in sync with the map's sharing? I suppose we could display the specific sharing changes that will be applied to each layer, but is that useful? It could be quite detailed, particularly if your map is shared to a lot of groups that the layers aren't.