Finer grained control over scale of map in map viewer

02-11-2023 10:19 AM
patriciacdale
New Contributor II

It would be great to have more granularity when trying to set the extent of the map in the map viewer.
The current set up for the zoom levels has too much of a gap. It would be great if Esri could add more pre-configured zoom levels in between the existing ones. 

There is a similar idea for ArcGIS Enterprise: Solved: Re: Finer grained control over web map extent? - Esri Community  Although it is marked as solved, unfortunately, it does not have a proper solution.

3 Comments
LarryW
by

If find it exceedingly bizarre that Map Viewer does not let the owner of a map set bookmark scales by typing in a number. This only gives the user the clumsy control afforded by mouse or touchpad dragging. it's a glaring weakness.

BrittanyBurson

Thank you for unearthing this previously "Solved" idea. This is absolutely crucial.

AlfredBaldenweck

Yes, please. 

It is really difficult to set the correct extent of web maps, and, by extension, web apps, with the current set up.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1686595232579.png

There doesn't seem to be a way to set things to common standards, for example 1:100,000 or 1:24,000. 

Neither is there a way to tell the current scale.  Quite frankly, "States" and "Neighborhood" mean nothing to me.

Part of this as well is trying to zoom in. I can either go waaaay too close or waaaay too far, and what I really need is exactly between those two options. I would love to just say "Okay, give me 1:550,000 and we'll see how that looks" instead of settling for a zoom level that isn't what I want.

For example, I'm trying to save a map to show all of Wyoming. I can either save it at a scale that shows me 80% of the state, or one that gives me 100% of the state plus 100+ miles in any given direction. I need something between these two levels.

Please let us set the scale in the way that we've been doing it in ArcMap and Pro for years.