Add Layer Control to Information Lookup Template in AGOL

08-20-2015 10:45 AM
JeffLedbetter
New Contributor II

I love the functionality of the Information Lookup template for a web mapping application. It meets my needs but Ii'd like to be able to add a layer contorl widget to it so that users can turn on some auxillary layers if they'd like to find out more information. I've been able to add multiple layers to return on the address lookup but they can't see the layer's availability or turn different layers on and off.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give.

Thanks!

Jeff

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jeff,

We are releasing a number of enhancements to information lookup in September, but a TOC is not one of them.  The app is designed to not care if a layer is visible or not to show the pop up result.  Pop ups will not work on the additional layers if they are not configured as a lookup layer.  Could you provide some additional information or your scenario so we can properly evaluate adding a TOC to a future version?

Mike

0 Kudos
JeffLedbetter
New Contributor II

So I'm using the template for a public information map of woldfire risk hazard.  It'd be a nice feature to allow the user to turn additional layers, such a wildfire history, if they wanted to dig deeper once the map shows them the queried address.

The work around we put in place was to just add that data to the text box and set the visibility to scale to only show at the zoomed in view but it would add some flexibility for them explore the data around the queried address if they could control the on/off status of the layer.

You can see the final product at the URL below.  A good search string is "Oak Heights Rd., Julian, CA"

Wildfire Hazard Map - Ready San Diego

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jeff,

That makes sense.  Let me add an enhancement and think about where to place it.  With a limited ui and designed to be embedded, it is hard to fit a lot of elements in the app.  You will see in the new version that you can display the pop up on a side panel to make exploring the information easier. 

0 Kudos