Service area analysis slope as cost

03-05-2024 11:48 PM
AlessandraJones
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to do a service area analysis comparing length as cost versus slope as cost. I am able to run the analysis based on length, but when I run it based on slope, the breaks that I have entered are not respected and the polygon takes up the area of the whole road network.

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

How are you modeling slopes as a cost? Is the slope information added as an impedance to the network dataset? You can use the Explore network tool and inspect the edges to make sure the values are set up correctly. More info here:

Explore Network—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
AlessandraJones
New Contributor II

Yes, as an impedance. Thank you, I will try that tool. I'm just not sure why it would work for length but not slope.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

You can check what values you have for the edges and what break values you are setting for the service area. If you think about it, slope is a ratio and not a useful number to use as an impedance. So perhaps the values are not what you might think they are. 

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
AlessandraJones
New Contributor II

Thank you for your suggestions. I have resolved the issue. I needed to re-run the Build Network tool when changing any of the cost attributes.

0 Kudos