Labels disappeared from ArcGIS Components -- 2023.3.1

02-26-2024 05:28 AM
Pat_Gallagher
New Contributor III

I logged in this morning and one of our servers had lost all of the labels assigned. I had this problem alot in the 2023.2 install, but has hoping that this was resolved in the current version. I access the ArcGIS Monitor Server webpage from my laptop (Firefox). Is there a best practice for adding labels that will help reduce/eliminate the database from dropping labels?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GeoJen
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi Pat,

Are you only seeing this behavior on ArcGIS Server Service Components?

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
Pat_Gallagher
New Contributor III

I have not been using labels on the server components, only the ArcGIS Server service components. The server that I had labels disappear on has about 400 services, around 100 of the first services lost the labels, and another group of around 10 also lost the labels. Have not had any more issues since adding them back in.

0 Kudos
SteveBird
New Contributor

I had a similar issue this weekend.  I happened to check my ArcGIS Monitor 2023.3.1 instance because we were releasing a critical application and all of the labels I had assigned to the ArcGIS Server Service Components for my standalone ArcGIS Server site were gone. 

I am not sure if it was just the ArcGIS Server Service Components or if this affected other components as I have not had a chance to check.

This is the second time this has happened to me in the last month.

Steve

0 Kudos
WhitneyLoy
New Contributor III

Has happened to me 3 times now since upgrading to 2023.3.1. Lost about 300 labels.

0 Kudos
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

If you have a case that labels are lost for ArcGIS Server services, please check if this is for a given folder (s).  We have observed a few case that calls to ArcGIS Server admin API to list services in a given folder sometimes don't return expected response or time out.  In the current release, ArcGIS Monitor would see it as deleted folder services and effectively unregister those services. These services would be re-registered the next time the folder info is collected successfully, and the proper response returned.  This would explain why labels "disappear".  Because this would be a brand-new registration and naturally it would not have original labels.  

We'll add extra logging to capture this case better and considering other improvements, e.g. retries.  But this might not address the cases where the ArcGIS Server admin API does not return expected response repeatedly.  So, if you have this case, you may want to verify it using admin api and check logs for the underlying issue.  If you determine this is ArcGIS Server related, you may want to contact Esri Tech support to triage this case.

In the meantime, I would be very much interested to learn the workflows these labels support and potentially offer viable alternatives.   

Pat_Gallagher
New Contributor III

Andrew,  

This is pretty random, we have over 20 ArcGIS Servers and the only consistent I can tell you is that I have only had issues with servers that have over 160 services. I do not see any pattern to how many or where in the list the labels are deleted. They do get deleted in groups though. I have seen as few as 4 records in a row to as many as 30. Currently I have 2 labels on most of the components. There is no timeframe for this either, I can have a couple in a week or go several weeks without any label issues.

This is still significantly better than what I was seeing in 2023.2 where I could have half of the record disappear each week. 

I have gone to using the actual metric for some of the Data Expressions, but there are some that are easier to deal with by using labels. Currently I go through a few servers a day to check and make sure that all of the components have the correct labels on them.

0 Kudos
GeoJen
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi Folks,

BUG-000165954 was logged related to labels disappearing. A fix for labels disappearing will be included in the 2024.0 release of ArcGIS Monitor.
Thanks,
Jennifer