Can't pan, map won't update if basemap is turned off

03-07-2019 07:05 AM
MichaelHross1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am currently running ArcMap 10.5.1. I have been experiencing an issue related to any basemap data, such as World Imagery or Streets. If I add a basemap layer to a map, when I try to edit any shapefile I cannot see the edits I am making until I refresh the map or pan and wait for the basemap to refresh. Also, if I turn off the basemap layer in the Table of Contents, I cannot pan the map or make the map update until I turn the layer on again in the TOC. If I remove a basemap layer, I have to save the map, close it, and then reopen it to be able to pan around or do anything in the map. Adding the basemap layer back into the map results in the previously described issues reoccurring.

I am working on a new computer (Intel i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Operating System, 1 TB hard drive) and a fresh installation of ArcMap 10.5.1. I did not change any options that have caused this issue, as far as I can recall, and IT said they installed a vanilla version. IT at my company optimized my computer for performance and no improvement occurred. We also tried reinstalling ArcMap to see if that would fix the issue and it did not. I have a coworker that has the same computer as I do and he is not experiencing this issue. I am wondering if there are any options I should try to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrighamWhitman
New Contributor

Michael,

I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever figure out a solution?

Thank you,

Brigham

0 Kudos
BrighamWhitman
New Contributor

I can answer this one myself. I did the below work around and it works perfectly. Hope this helps anyone who finds this!

From this website:

https://community.esri.com/t5/esri-technical-support-blog/troubleshooting-issues-adding-arcgis-onlin...

Try connecting to the service layers through creating a GIS Server Connection in ArcCatalog.
Here is how to do this:

1. Open ArcCatalog.
  2. Expand GIS Servers.
  3. Double click Add ArcGIS Server.
  4. Select Use GIS services and click Next.
  5. For Server URL, type http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services (This is the URL needed for ArcCatalog. This will not work in the internet browser.)
  6. Click Finish.
  7. Expand the Server connection and drag one of the service layers into ArcMap.

If you can add a service successfully, it indicates a problem specifically with the Add Basemap command. If this is the case, you should consider contacting Esri Technical Support to further troubleshoot the issue.

0 Kudos