ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2: The GWR tool encounters a "coincident features" error due to exceeding the "minimum number of neighbors (30)."

02-08-2024 11:41 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2: The GWR tool encounters a "coincident features" error due to exceeding the "minimum number of neighbors (30)",

The observations (records) in my data represent condominium apartments, indicating that multiple apartments may share the same xy coordinates but have different z-coordinates, representing the floor level. Moreover, in addition to sharing the same xy coordinates, these condominium apartments might have identical values for independent variables (apartment characteristics) or even the same value for the dependent variable (price valuation).

Given this scenario, how can we leverage GWR effectively for condominium apartment observations where multiple units might share the same xy coordinates and have identical values for both dependent and independent variables?

I have approximately 3800 condominium apartments distributed across only 284 condominium buildings in my dataset as per the screenshots below

Clip_766.jpgClip_767.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

GWR will not use the z-coordinate in any capacity.  So if you have multiple points at the same (x, y) but different z, GWR will treat them as being at the same location.  Splitting your dataset by floor and independently performing GWR is the only solution that immediately comes to mind.

The problem of constant values of the explanatory/dependent variable is more difficult, as GWR will return an error if any neighborhood contains a constant value of any explanatory variable or the dependent variable.  To calculate GWR results, you'll need to use neighborhoods large enough to ensure this never happens.  However, if the neighborhoods are very large, GWR effectively turns into OLS.  Hopefully there is some range of neighborhood that can estimate local effects but still never encounter neighborhoods with constant values.

0 Kudos