SOLVED: Is there a size limit for total number of attachments for a feature layer in Field Maps?

Jump to solution
10-25-2022 06:47 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am attempting to create an offline area in the desktop portion of Field Maps and I keep encountering a "Failed" message.

After much digging, I isolated the issue to a single feature layer (if you want details as to how, just message me). This feature class is a point feature layer with a related table containing photo attachments. The sole purpose of this feature layer is to show the orientation of a photograph and upon clicking, show the photograph.

When attempting to capture all of the photo points in an area, I get the failed message. If I attempt to capture half of the photographs, it succeeds. If I attempt to capture the other half (with some overlap), it succeeds. This eliminated the possibility of a corrupt point or attachment.

My theory at this point was that there was some inherent size limit associated with a feature layer when trying to create offline areas. To test this, I broke the photos feature class into two separate feature classes in ArcGIS Pro and republished them to my Enterprise Portal (10.9.1). I then attempted to capture them all in an offline area, and sure enough, it succeeds. So the offline area has no issue with the total number of attachments associated with the area, just a total number of attachments in a single feature layer.

Can any Esri devs confirm this for me? Also can any potentially give me a way around this programmatically or through some setting I don't know about?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Good" news everyone. I spoke to one of the members of the Field Maps dev team and they mentioned that there is very likely a setting that sets the attachment limit arbitrarily at 1000. They are looking at increasing that number or letting users increase that number (I'd imagine something similar to increasing the number of records returnable in Server Manager or something.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Good" news everyone. I spoke to one of the members of the Field Maps dev team and they mentioned that there is very likely a setting that sets the attachment limit arbitrarily at 1000. They are looking at increasing that number or letting users increase that number (I'd imagine something similar to increasing the number of records returnable in Server Manager or something.)

Sara_
by
New Contributor III

Hi Kevin

This is good to know. 

I'm having a slightly different issue with Enterprise related to attachments that I can't find any documentation online. I'm wondering if you have any experience with this. 

My organisation needs to attach zip file attachments to a survey in Field Maps which links to Enterprise. It seems this option isn't available but I've found an ESRI article which suggests Zip files if the file size is too large on ArcGIS Online. https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000024193  Any more help around this issue? 

Appreciate your help. 

0 Kudos
anonymous55
Occasional Contributor II

Hello

anybody here knows how can I limit users to just attach 2 photos. right now we just can set the photo size.

Best,

Ahmad