location tracking

2 weeks ago
Mannus_Etten
New Contributor III

We did recently a test with Field Maps and used location tracking. We discovered and got the feedback that one hour of use drained the battery of the devices.

So we are searching for opportunities to change and optimize the behavior here.

Are there settings to make to change the location tracking interval for example?
Or based on speed?

We read in the documentation that when there is no movement the gps accurary is turned lower. We saw at our starting locations a lot of small and short lines appearing. Is this because of the accurary?

@JeffShanermaybe you can help us out?

CEO the Right Direction BV/Portal Genius
0 Kudos
2 Replies
erKay_nv5
New Contributor III

While I have no solution for FieldMaps and location tracking, the photo is absolutely the result of GPS accuracy issues. If, as mentioned, GPS accuracy is reduced when not moving, that will generate a tangle of track lines as it gets the fix again. Are you using the device's native GPS, or are you connecting to something like a Geode with higher accuracy? 

TBH, while it adds yet another piece of equipment, I prefer a Garmin for GPS tracking. It's not as accurate as a Geode, but if you just want to know where your field crew has been, it's easy to implement and doesn't have nearly the battery drain issues. I can usually get 2-4 days out of a set of AA NiMH batteries in a Garmin. Plus I get the tracks of the crew.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Mannus_Etten , were you testing with or without battery optimization on? This is a setting in the Field Maps app that should be toggled on by default but would be good to double check. When "On" we shouldnt see as much noise with your locations when the device is stationary as we use the activity monitor in the device to shut off the GPS when the device is not moving. If you are constantly moving then this setting would not make much of a difference. 

Can you clarify the OS and device you are using in this example? Both Android and iOS have some battery usage statistics that can be found in the Settings which can help pinpoint the battery usage on a per app basis. We would of course want to make sure something else isnt draining your battery. One hour of usage should certainly not be draining your battery, regardless of the optimization setting.

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos