How to recover a deleted FieldMaps form?

04-18-2023 12:23 PM
KennethJohnston
New Contributor II

After testing my forms for data collection in the field I wanted to make changes to one of my existing forms on FieldMaps. After I added a few entries I went to test the new entries and the layer would not allow me to add new features. When I tried to add a new feature the icon for that feature was not showing and said the form is unable to collect data. I tried troubleshooting but it did not work so I decide to delete the layer and add the layer again to my map (ESRIs suggested option). Unknowingly, I deleted the form that was created for that layer. This is a major issue as I need the form in the exact layout for field data collection. I can not simply rebuild the form as it is complex. Additionally, the deleted form created columns or fields of data with titles I need to match for data collection. I cannot simply remake the form and reuse those field names. I also have a fair amount of historic data stored in those fields and columns from that form. Is there a way to restore a deleted form on fieldmaps? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

This is not the answer you want to hear and I feel your pain. 

If you deleted the operational map layer that contained the form definition by removing that layer from the map then the form you designed is gone and can not be recovered unless you backed it up somewhere as JSON (doesn't sound like you did that). 

I'm assuming your data is hosted.  Provided you did not delete the feature service that contained the data, then your data should still be there along with all the fields you started with or created.  If you did delete the feature service that contained your layer then you data is gone too. Unless you backed it up first by saving exporting or some other means.

You will have no choice but to recreate that form.  When and if you do, I recommend saving it periodically while it is under construction as a JSON.  When you have it completed, save is JSON to use as a backup or a template or both as something that is paired with the schema of your layer. In AGOL, you know have the ability to save the form to the layer itself rather than it living solely with the map definition, but you have to make that choice.  Saving it to the feature layer isn't bullet proof either.  If you delete that feature layer or service then it would be gone unless you backed it up.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
KennethJohnston
New Contributor II

Thanks for the backup suggestion and the reply. All my data is there just have to spend time recreating the form exactly as I had it.

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

To get the JSON for a backup, I usually just access the map definition through AGO Assistant and copy the "formInfo" section to a file in a repository. You could also get it using the python API.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If I were to delete a map from Field Maps Designer would all of the associated maps and data be delete as well or would I still be able to access them in ArcGIS Online? I was testing out various workflows for some field operations staff (Workforce & Field Maps) and have decided to stick with my Workforce app therefore I want to remove the map from the field maps app and Field Maps Designer page.

0 Kudos