Field Maps compatibility with ArcSDE geodatabase?

09-25-2023 10:39 AM
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

We are setting up a new project that will involve creating and editing of features both in-office and then later in the field (to verify assets). I would like to store the data in an ArcSDE geodatabase that we have hosted on Microsoft SQL Server, in order to take advantage of versioning and conflict detection. However, we had planned to use Field Maps on Android tablets for the field data collection portion of the project, and as far as I can tell, it's not possible to connect to your ArcSDE geodatabase in Field Maps or to sync data between Field Maps and the ArcSDE geodatabase. 

Has anyone run into a similar issue before and can suggest a workflow for this? I know I could just host the data on ArcGIS Online from the beginning, and then our GIS techs could easily edit it from either ArcPro or Field Maps, but then there would be more limited capabilities in terms of versioning/detecting conflicts. I also thought about dividing up the area into sections and once a particular section is complete in-office, to export it as a separate geodatabase and then upload to AGOL for editing with Field Maps. But then we would have to combine all areas back together when the project is complete.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

do you have ArcGIS Enterprise on premise available as an option?

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you are running ArcGIS Server, you can publish as a feature service with editing capabilities and load that directly into a web map for the Field Maps App.

This will allow you to directly edit the SDE feature class in Field Maps and web map, Pro, etc.

R_

MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies, Bill and Rhett. We do not have ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Server. Would those be the only way to accomplish this?

0 Kudos