Data Validity Problem: Fields default to '0' even though default is blank and field is non-nullable

12-11-2023 12:11 AM
Labels (1)
tiztrain
Occasional Contributor

Hey all,

I have field collection where I want all my fields to be captured while in the field, through Field Maps. I have noticed a bug where I have fields with no default value set and a '0' gets put in its place. Unfortunately, this means users can submit features without properly filling out each field. I have noticed this for the double type but think it occurs to more.

I have been told of the bug below but it has been outstanding since Feb 2019 and still has not been resolved. Since this is important for data validity, I am a bit surprised by this. Is this on the roadmap to get resolved? How can this be made a higher priority?

BUG-000119809 for ArcGIS Online (esri.com)

4 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

I've noticed the default 0 too, even though no default is set; most recently with a numeric/short field. By chance, is your field nullable? Perhaps a better question would be, has the issue happened to you if the field is actually nullable?

0 Kudos
tiztrain
Occasional Contributor

Looks like if the field is nullable, it doesn't not default to 0.

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

I thought that may be the case. So in this situation a person can make the field nullable but then set the field as required in Field Maps. That will avoid the zero but it will also make sure data gets collected.

tiztrain
Occasional Contributor

Yep. It is a work around but would be good not to have to do the extra steps.

0 Kudos