Can't add new Template in Field Maps Designer after adding new List/Domain item

06-27-2023 01:52 PM
jdelprete
New Contributor II

Why can't I add a new editing Template in Field Maps Designer? I have added a new item to a field's List, updated that layer's Symbology in the web map, but then it does not automatically appear in Field Maps Designer, and I can't figure out how to add it manually.

I have a couple bonkers work arounds, one of which includes open in Web Map classic, which kills my newer symbols... Seems like this should be possible in Field Maps Designer so I must be missing something.

(it's a hosted feature layer)

Thanks

3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

You will want to test this on a copy as I haven't tried it since the latest "Update...".

Only way I know in AGOL to modify the editing template is with Map Viewer Classic.

Once loaded, choose "Edit", select the template you want to modify and choose "Manage":

RhettZufelt_0-1687909020905.png

Then you will see a dropdown with Properties:

RhettZufelt_1-1687909041562.png

You can Copy one of the exiting templates to a new one, then modify the new template properties as desired and "SAVE CHANGES" at the bottom.

Then, exit Map Viewer Classic and do NOT save changes to the map so it doesn't kill your symbols, popups, etc.

R_

jdelprete
New Contributor II

Yup, this is pretty much exactly what I do! I usually open the layer in a new, blank, Map Viewer Classic and do the update there. Sometimes it will ruin the symbology at the layer level, which I don't love as I often use the same layers across multiple maps. In those cases, I can go back to my original, untouched, "new version" Map Viewer map as save the layer that is in there to get the symbology back to the layer level.

I have also added editing templates by updating the layer definition in REST.

I just have to believe there's a way to do it in the new Map Viewer or Field Map Designer... @JeffShaner, sorry yours is the only name I know from reading blog posts (also just randomly tried to use @ and was surprised to see it worked!). Any insights on this?

0 Kudos
ErinMerrill
New Contributor II

Thanks, you solved my problem here!

0 Kudos