Budget-Friendly Field Data Collection Apps for Volunteer-Driven Local Project

Jump to solution
02-20-2024 10:56 AM
VogtBoat
New Contributor III

I am reaching out to seek your recommendations on field data collection applications suitable for a local, budget-conscious non profit that is s interested in field data collection, specifically for gathering information on dikes, culverts, and flood gates with the help of volunteers.

I currently possess an ArcGIS Online account and a Standard Advanced ArcGIS Pro license. However, my ArcGIS Online credit budget is quite limited.

What license if any would the non-profit need to have several volunteers collect data in the field? What questions do they need to know the answer to so I can best inform them? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

I would recommend survey123, since forms can be shared publicly. This would allow volunteers to submit data, without having to purchase AGOL licences.

Field Maps would require mobile worker or creator accounts.

Other free open source options exist, like ODK, QField, etc. These would require more set-up though.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
erKay_nv5
New Contributor III

ArcGIS OL and Pro should do for GPS data. If you need to expand on that, ODK is a good free option that uses the XLSForm format that a lot of survey programs use.

It would also be worth reaching out to your local/regional GPS equipment supplier(s), many of them are also distributors for software, and they may have pricing for non-profits. 

0 Kudos
VogtBoat
New Contributor III

Sorry, I do not understand. When you say "ArcGIS OL and Pro should do for GPS data." how is data collected in the field? with ArcGIS Field Maps? If so, how much does it cost the non-profit to use Field Maps? This would be several people collecting data with smart phones. Thanks : )

0 Kudos
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

I would recommend survey123, since forms can be shared publicly. This would allow volunteers to submit data, without having to purchase AGOL licences.

Field Maps would require mobile worker or creator accounts.

Other free open source options exist, like ODK, QField, etc. These would require more set-up though.

BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

I agree with Clay - the volunteers could use publicly shared Survey123 web forms on their own devices as anonymous users. You could add a field for "volunteer name" if you wanted to track who collected what.

0 Kudos