Allow Location Access Always on iOS

01-24-2023 03:36 PM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

We are using field maps to track our public safety personnel.

One thing that has been a nuisance is that we have to make sure that each user's iOS device Privacy & Security Location Services is set to 'Always' for field maps or their location becomes stale.

I was hoping that MDM or a URL parameter would assist with this, but don't see this as an options.

We've had to make sure that 'Always' is selected on each device.

Thank you for any insights, suggestions,

Mele

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MeleKoneya ,

Can you outline the workflow your field workers are using when their location becomes "stale"? Are they utilizing Location Sharing or performing data collection?

I believe there was an iOS change at some point where they did not expose the option for "Always" when first prompting for permissions. You have to go into the OS app settings and manually set to Always. However, for most flows in Field Maps, the permission level "While using the app" should suffice. It would be good to hear some details.

There are no MDM or URL parameters to force this setting that I am aware of. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

Colin,

It took me a bit to double back to this.    We have been busy with the Barrett Jackson car auction.   We've been tracking our public safety crews with fieldmaps.

All users are on iOs with varying devices and versions of the OS.  

We are not requiring that our users actually 'use' field maps.   So if it is just sitting in a medical bag or in an officers gear we would like it to keep tracking.

We found that setting the always on did that while the other settings did not.    

We are gearing up for WMPO, but so far Barrett Jackson seems to be working well for situational awareness via FieldMaps

Mele 

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MeleKoneya ,

Thank you for getting back to me. Location Sharing (tracking) will work with the permission set to "While using the app" as long as the app is not force closed (swiped away). The devices location will continued to be monitored whether the app is open in the foreground, placed in the background, or the screen is turned off, as long as Location Sharing is still toggled on.

Newer versions of iOS will show that your location is currently being used on the lock screen in the top left corner; shown by the blue shading around the time. 

Is it possible the app is being force closed in some cases? The variability of devices and OS versions might make this more difficult to track down. 

In short, Location Sharing should work whether you select "While using the app" or navigate to the settings to toggle the permission to "Always"

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos