Select to view content in your preferred language

Is ExB Capable of Achieving this Workflow?

Jump to solution
05-17-2024 07:48 AM
morgan_m
New Contributor II

Hello all,

My team and I have just tasked with a new project, and we'd like to know if Experience Builder is capable of handling it before we find out the hard way. None of us have worked with ExB before and would just like some opinions, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Essentially, our ROW and Easements team would like the ability to select any parcel in our service territory, and copy the geometry + attributes of that selected parcel to another layer named "Neo Easements". We'd like to see all of the parcel information copied from the initial selected parcel into the new parcel in Neo Easements layer, but also have the ability to add additional fields and attributes to the new parcel. This would include document attachments and photos. Finally, we'd like to be able to export the Neo Easements layer out of ExB as a csv. Would this be possible or is there an instant app that would be better for this workflow? Like I said, thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Copy-paste is planned to be supported in the new Web Editor application being released in the coming June update of ArcGIS Online. This will allow you to copy-paste your parcels into a separate layer.

You'll need to make sure the target layer you are pasting into already has the necessary fields the ROW team will need to fill out. Also, you'll want all the field names and field types to match exactly between the two layers if you want parcel attributes to be also copied over.

Once Web Editor is available, embed it within Experience Builder using the Embed widget. Then, use a widget that supports Data actions in Experience Builder to Export the data of selected parcels to CSV. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The editing widget in EB is pretty good, but I don't think it has copy/paste available. I doubt you'll be able to do the entire workflow just in EB.

I think one way to do this is to incorporate Survey123. If your survey had a geoshape question, you could use the parcels layer to prepopulate the geometry with the parcel's own shape. That form could include any additional fields and attributes, and carry over any parcel attributes you also want included, as well as any attachments.

If the map were set to refresh the layers periodically, the new feature would show up on in EB shortly after submitting the form. From there, you could continue to make edits to the new feature, and EB does let you export data as CSV.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
morgan_m
New Contributor II

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply, Josh. I tested this workflow and it seems to be working in order to get the parcels in question to a new layer, as well as applicable attributes we'd want to carry over. I also used the edit widget so that the team would be able to edit the new layers attributes as needed. We will keep this workflow in mind as we go into our meetings. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

The latest ArcGIS Online/Developer Edition update to Experience Builder has an option to export selected features to a Portal Item, so you could use that to copy the attributes and geometry. Downloading as a CSV is an option in a number of widgets, so that requirement is covered. The Edit Widget allows for editing and  attachments, so that is also possible.

However, I don't think the ability to create totally new fields is possible with Experience Builder.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
morgan_m
New Contributor II

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for the reply. The edit widget will come in handy for us during this process, as well as the ability to export with certain widgets. Thank you for weighing in! 

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Copy-paste is planned to be supported in the new Web Editor application being released in the coming June update of ArcGIS Online. This will allow you to copy-paste your parcels into a separate layer.

You'll need to make sure the target layer you are pasting into already has the necessary fields the ROW team will need to fill out. Also, you'll want all the field names and field types to match exactly between the two layers if you want parcel attributes to be also copied over.

Once Web Editor is available, embed it within Experience Builder using the Embed widget. Then, use a widget that supports Data actions in Experience Builder to Export the data of selected parcels to CSV. 

morgan_m
New Contributor II

This is great, I think the June release will fit our timeline perfectly. Thanks for the reply!