Dynamic Dashboard Using List Widget Output

Jump to solution
07-13-2023 06:23 AM
EfeU
by
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to bring together dynamic embedded content using the list widget output and embedded dashboard. I've been following ArcGIS Experience Builder: Introduction in 2021 ESRI UC.

My setup is very similar what's been demo'ed in the video, a list widget (experience builder) and embed widget (ArcGIS Dashboard). But unfortunately, how's {urlparam} field which was used to setup the embed widget created and what's it contain, that's left out (please see the snapshot below).

EfeU_0-1689253799224.png

Has anyone created a similar workflow? What would urlparam field should contain to dynamically communicate between experience builder widget when a specific text is searched and dynamically passed between ex.builder and embedded arcgis dashboard?

@Jianxia @TonghuiMing 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

You need to connect your embed widget to your state data. Experience Builder also seems to prefer using the data attribute picker to add the dynamic field to the URL than typing it in.

JenniferAcunto_1-1689597112141.png

- Jen

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

It looks like in the demo they have a field in their data that displays different dashboard URLs. So that {urlparamter} is simply a dashboard link in their data. Each feature has a different link, and the one displayed is based on the Experience Builder selection.

You can also use dashboard URL parameters to have a single dashboard that filters the data displayed based on a selection in Experience Builder. 

You need to first set up URL parameters in your dashboard and set them to provide actions to other elements. 

Configure actions on URL parameters

So if I wanted my dashboard to dynamically change when someone selects a state on my Experience Builder list, I would set up my dashboard URL parameter to filter based on state abbreviation.

JenniferAcunto_0-1689277256005.png

So then my dashboard would show only California entries if I used a URL like: hxxps://maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/9b6297b2030a4b1291f96c4a0144e4c9#state=CA and only Arizona entries with hxxps://maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/9b6297b2030a4b1291f96c4a0144e4c9#state=AZ.

I will use that URL syntax to add my dashboard to Experience Builder, but instead of stating the state abbreviation, I will use Experience Builder to provide the corresponding field name. hxxps://maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/9b6297b2030a4b1291f96c4a0144e4c9#state={state}

The field used in your Experience Builder must match the field used in your dashboard. So going back to my example, my Experience Builder state field would need to be CA and not California, Cali, or anything else other than the two letter state abbreviation that is contained in my dashboard data.

- Jen
EfeU
by
New Contributor II

Hi @JenniferAcunto thank you for the suggestion. I've followed your steps and created a test dashboard with US states layer. I've managed to set the dashboard up and running (please see the first snapshot) with url parameters and tested it out, it's working.

EfeU_0-1689359259410.png

After that, added the dashboard to the experience builder with the suggested syntax to the embed widget (second snapshot), set the list widget up (last two snapshots) and search tool with abbreviation but still whether I clicked on the list or searched by abbreviation, still there is no action. What am I missing?

EfeU_1-1689359416983.png

EfeU_2-1689359464920.png

EfeU_3-1689359491134.png

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

You need to connect your embed widget to your state data. Experience Builder also seems to prefer using the data attribute picker to add the dynamic field to the URL than typing it in.

JenniferAcunto_1-1689597112141.png

- Jen
EfeU
by
New Contributor II

Thank you @JenniferAcunto, working great! I have one last question, when I connected the embed widget to the data, the default view of the embed widget turned to blank only showing the source url until a state is selected from the list widget. Is it the natural behaviour or is it possible to show default/unfiltered dashboard?

EfeU_0-1689605052300.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

You cannot have an unfiltered dashboard display when nothing has been selected, but you can establish a default filtered view to display. This blog post discusses how this works in the 'Selected feature view' section.

- Jen
0 Kudos