Webgisdr full vs incremental backup frequency?

09-06-2023 11:05 AM
Adam_Inglis
New Contributor II

What is the recommend maximum interval between full webgisdr backups if we are doing daily incremental backups? We have been doing weekly full backups, but could we stretch that out to monthly full backup with daily incremental backups to save on storage space?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Felipe_Costa
New Contributor III

Yes, it could be a good approach to modify the interval of you full backup. However, I believe it is important to take into consideration the activity of the environment (the amount of new data and applications that are being deployed during the period), what can impact on the backup size. Also, it could be considered the definition of maximum retention period of a full backup. Eg: Full backups will be kept for a maximum period of 1 month.

David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

To add it is also worth checking how long the backups take to complete. Ideally, these can be done overnight and not when the deployment is under load from requests.

Many thanks,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
EricAndersen1
New Contributor II

Hi Adam!  Long time since we've connected!

We have a backup strategy in place so we only to maintain 1 full and 1 incremental.  The backups are sent to file system storage and are backed up to tape nightly.

We also have VM snapshots daily and data store backups daily.

0 Kudos
WielandBusse
New Contributor III

Hi Adam,

I'd be interested to know how big the difference in file size is between Full and Incremental Backup?

We didn't see much difference (5.5 vs. 4.2 GB).

Best regards, Wieland

PS: I'm also a big Pixies fan!

0 Kudos