Notebook Server - Unable to validate runtime

Jump to solution
03-23-2024 12:47 PM
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

Running ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 on Windows, Notebook Server is using Linux containers and a standard license. I have ran through all the pre-reqs - docker desktop w/ linux contains and hyper-v, downloaded linux images from MyEsri, and installed using the postinstallutiltiy.bat which succeeded. 

Running docker image ls on my notebook server returns the following:

tigerwoulds_0-1711222865243.png

When attempting to open any notebook I get this error. When I try to validate the standard runtime through notebook/admin, runtimeexists is false.

tigerwoulds_2-1711222979716.png

{
    "machines": [{
        "machine": "[REDACTED]",
        "notebookRuntimes": [
            {
                "notebookRuntimeName": "ArcGIS Notebook Python 3 Standard",
                "runtimeExists": "false",
                "notebookRuntimeVersion": "8.0"
            },
            {
                "notebookRuntimeName": "ArcGIS Notebook Python 3 Advanced",
                "runtimeExists": "false",
                "notebookRuntimeVersion": "8.0"
            }
        ]
    }],
    "status": "success"
}

Any ideas or other steps I need to take to have notebook server validate the standard runtime?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tigerwoulds

Hey Tim, thanks for the response. I did confirm Image ID matches and used the same container download from your screenshot (those are infact linux container images). I ended up resolving the issue by going to Notebook Server Admin > System > Properties and setting the useWindowsContainers property to false. I then went to Notebook > Runtimes and restored the factory runtimes. We're running Windows Server 2022 and these additional steps are required.

This is mentioned in the doc but oddly enough, only on the welcome page: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/notebook/11.1/install/windows/welcome-to-the-arcgis-notebook-server...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TimoT
by
New Contributor III

Navigate to Notebook Administrator Directory > notebooks > runtimes and confirm the image ID matches the one in your error.

You mentioned downloading the Linux containers and images. I understand that Docker is native to Linux, but I still downloaded the the docker container images from the Windows section of My Esri. They probably aren't different in any way though since they have the same checksum.

TimoT_0-1711275909815.png

Good luck.

Timo

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

Hey Tim, thanks for the response. I did confirm Image ID matches and used the same container download from your screenshot (those are infact linux container images). I ended up resolving the issue by going to Notebook Server Admin > System > Properties and setting the useWindowsContainers property to false. I then went to Notebook > Runtimes and restored the factory runtimes. We're running Windows Server 2022 and these additional steps are required.

This is mentioned in the doc but oddly enough, only on the welcome page: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/notebook/11.1/install/windows/welcome-to-the-arcgis-notebook-server...

IngJuanMaSuarez
Esri Contributor

In ArcGIS Enterprise version 11.2, the same thing happened to me. The error was resolved by following these instructions. Thank you very much.