How do I time enable rasters to upload to ArcGIS Enterprise?

2 weeks ago
TravisFreed1
New Contributor

I have a large number of rasters I'd like to publish to ArcGIS Enterprise and visualize using a time slider app.    All of the rasters are time enabled locally but when I publish to Enterprise the time slider option is grayed out in the map.     I've tried uploading .tiffs and File Geodatabase Rasters, individually and grouped.  I don't have an image server,  so I've tried uploading as Map Image Layer or tiled with no luck.

TravisFreed1_0-1715000959236.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You would need to load the rasters into a Mosiac Dataset; https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/time/set-the-time-properties-on-data.htm

Then you could publish as an Image Service: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/publish-an-image-service.htm to ArcGIS Enterprise.

Please note, you will need to have the Image Server extension on Enterprise to publish a mosaic dataset; https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.8/publish-services/windows/publishing-image-services.htm.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TravisFreed1
New Contributor

We don't have an image server.   Is there an alternative to using an image server. 

0 Kudos
TravisFreed1
New Contributor

Is it possible to upload it using a Map Tile Package or Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I do not think so on the tile packages. Tile packages are just a snapshot of the data which is broken down into tiles for quick display.

There may be other ways but am not familiar with them.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@TravisFreed1 

I assume you have used this option to make your raster layers time aware.

TimeAware_non_attribute.png

If that is the case, then the support should be coming in for 11.3 release if everything does as planned. 

Here is an early preview to hype it up 😄

TimeAware_raster_MV.gif

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
TravisFreed1
New Contributor

I did have that checked.   Support for what?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

thanks @TravisFreed1 

The reason the time slider does not work in Map Viewer for your case is that the map service doesn't report the necessary time related properties in its REST resources.

If everything goes as planned starting 11.3, map service will honor that 'the entire layer is shown within a fixed time extent' option for a layer; it will report that info in its REST resources and when a web client such as Map Viewer passes in a time-extent in an export operation, map service will honor that and return correct results showing only raster layers that are within the current time extent. As you see in my animated gif above.

please let me know if you have any question.

0 Kudos
TravisFreed1
New Contributor

So you can do the time sliders without having them in a mosaic dataset on an image server?  

What if I made a tile package (.tpkx) of of a time enabled mosaic dataset?   Would that allow the use of a time slider in Enterprise? 

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

So you can do the time sliders without having them in a mosaic dataset on an image server? 

yes, that is correct. In the animated gif above, I used 3 different raster layers. They are not inside a mosaic dataset. And it is a map service not an image service.

What if I made a tile package (.tpkx) of of a time enabled mosaic dataset?  

I'm not an expert on tile packages. My understanding is same as what @George_Thompson suggested above. Tile packages are not time aware.

In you case, once 11.3 is available, all you need to do is add your raster layers in a map in Pro, make them time aware, and then share that out as a map service.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you run into any issue with this workflow while (I'm assuming) you will be testing this out with 11.3 enterprise.

0 Kudos