Help about hosted layers not working after server restart.

Jump to solution
03-08-2023 09:11 AM
PaulAntonioVegaSalas
New Contributor III

Hi, yesterday here at the office we decide to reboot the server where all the stuff of ArcGis Enterprise is installed.

Before the restart all was working fine (we have restarted the server before).

As soon as the server came back and the TI office informed us that all was online again, we started to test our web maps.

Some of them are working properly, but other are showing this messages:

"The layer, (layer name), cannot be added to the map.

Also we are having the same issue with data collected from survey123.

Then I tried to open up the Feature Layer in arcgis pro and the message I am getting is:

"Failed to add data: https://gis.lanamme.ucr.ac.cr/server/rest/services/ (layer name)/FeatureServer.

Do you have any idea what is going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulAntonioVegaSalas
New Contributor III

Thanks everyone, we were able to fix the issue by working with ESRI support. It was related to the order in which each server was restarted.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I have encountered this issue as well. The workaround I arrived at with ESRI was to run the Configure Datastore utility.

1. Open the command prompt and run the data store tool

cd C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DataStore\tools

2. Set the datastore mode to readwrite and make sure you're targeting the relational data store. Syntax is:

changedatastoremode readwrite --store relational --prompt no

Then, on the machine's start menu, Configure ArcGIS Server Account. Provide the necessary credentials and then click through to Finish.

You might consult with ESRI before going through this workflow, but I do this literally every time I reboot the server.

PaulAntonioVegaSalas
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot, I will follow your advice!

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I have run into that before.  The Configure Datastore utility did work for most items, but we did have one service that  would not come back.  It was a self-hosted service that we had built multiple Survey123 forms off of with related tables and attachments, and was part of a complicated Experience.  After working with ESRI Support, I had to republish and spent a month getting the Survey forms and the experience to work again.  I suggest JSON and Survey123 Connect backups of everything!

0 Kudos
PaulAntonioVegaSalas
New Contributor III

Thanks you, today we are trying with ESRI support as you guys recommended

0 Kudos
BobNoyes
Occasional Contributor

While it sounds like a separate issue one thing I notice when I reboot our enterprise server is that it can take 15 to 20 minutes for the portal and datastore to restart and be back to full service. So, even though the server shows it is back up and running the enterprise services may not be. Not necessarily what is happening here but being aware of this can save some frustration and that having patience is, every now and then, useful. It is also why I only reboot during off hours. 

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I second this.  20 minutes easily, and the first thing ESRI will do is ask if you restarted your services in the appropriate order.  

PaulAntonioVegaSalas
New Contributor III

Thanks everyone, we were able to fix the issue by working with ESRI support. It was related to the order in which each server was restarted.

0 Kudos
Tyler_Fleming
New Contributor II

We have several Table (hosted) that are showing "Data source error" after patches were applied to our servers.  These Table (hosted) are within our Portal for ArcGIS which is federated with our internal server.

https://gis.douglascountyks.org/portal/apps/dashboards/125942449f054efab481848bdfcd9ac3

Will someone clarify for me, in what order do the servers need to be restarted?

we restarted our internal server first, then our external web server second. - and that did not work as it has in the past.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here is a reference in the "Updates and Patches" section; https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/operational-best-practices.htm

--- George T.
0 Kudos