Experience Builder on 11.1, Items not being available - CONT_122 error

01-16-2024 10:22 PM
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

This is more of a warning and hopefully something that will help than a question.

I've recently had two clients have the same issue appear when using the embedded Experience Builder in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1.  One client is fully patched, the other is missing the latest Sites and sharing patches.

In both case trying to look at the item in Portal leads to the spinning blue symbol and no load of any item metadata.  If you try and open it from the EXB editor then you will see a message saying, "Sorry, you do not have permissions to access this application" - even though you own it.

If you try to access the item using AGO assistant then you will see:

{

"error": {

"code": 500,

"messagecode": "CONT_0122",

"message": "Unable to find ItemInfo for item 'guid'",

"details": []

}

}

If you use Developer Tools in your browser, or fiddler you will see the same responses there when it makes a request to the iteminfo during the load of your item or EXB app.

After some investigation it was found that during the 'save' of the EXB item, the iteminfo.xml on disk was becoming corrupted.  In one client the closing brackets were correct, but there was a:

n>

addition to the very end of the XML.  In the other client,  the XML was corrupted in a different place.  Towards the end of the xml it should look like:

<url>URL TO EXB APP</url>

</ESRI_ItemInformation>

instead that clients file looked like:

<url>URL TO EXB APP</url>adbasdhjasdhjh</url>

</ESRI_ItemInformation>

where the red text invalidated the XML.  

The remedy was to copy and paste the iteminfo.xml file somewhere safe, and then copy the xml to a tool like:

https://www.xmlvalidation.com/index.php?id=1&L=0

this highlights the issues at hand and allows you to tidy it up.

The updated XML was copied back to the original item info file, which remedied the issue.

You can find the iteminfo.xml file here (typically):

C:\arcgisportal\content\items\guid\esriinfo\

I hope this helps someone else, certainly it's helped two clients recently. 

EDIT 29/05/24.  Last week I had a similar issue to this.  The XML was fine.  I looked at the PBG file in a text editor and there was a status of changed.  I took a backup of the PBF file and deleted the original.  Within minutes it was recreated and the EXB app item started working.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
7 Replies
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Excellent work Scott discovering the corrupted xml errors in the item info.  This is great info to have on the community forum.

Bernie.

0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

You saved my day. I created a Survey123 in Portal 11.2 and had a corrupted Portal Item XML in my config store two times in one week after saving my survey.

Portal HA; Portal Config Store on a separate VM

0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Scott_Tansley , this is more likely a portal backend issue.

Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks.  Yes I wondered that.  The main client that is affected has a base deployment on a single azure instance with premium disk.  It’s production but in very early stages. So no load.  They’re my only client using EXB in anger.  

former colleagues from Esri UK are discussing similar circumstances with me.  None of us can see any settings that would affect the backend.  

even though this has been raised as a support ticket there is no observed traction from Esri.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @Scott_Tansley . Could you share the case number (support ticket).

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you for taking an interest in this, I value your input.  The case number is:  Esri Case #03555992

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

This is how my corrupted XML looked like after saving my Survey123:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><ESRI_ItemInformation Culture="en-us"><title>TEST </title><type>Form</type><typekeywords><typekeyword>Form</typekeyword><typekeyword>Survey123</typekeyword><typekeyword>Survey123 Hub</typekeyword><typekeyword>xForm</typekeyword></typekeywords><tags><tag>Survey123</tag></tags><thumbnail>thumbnail/image01.png</thumbnail><properties>{"versionInfo":{"created":{"build":"3.19.246","timestamp":1716536319562,"env":"prod"},"saved":{"build":"3.19.246","timestamp":1716790220628,"env":"prod"},"published":{"build":"3.19.246","timestamp":1716876293417,"env":"prod"}},"websiteVersion":"3.19","isVersionLocked":true}</properties></ESRI_ItemInformation>properties></ESRI_ItemInformation>

This is how it should have looked like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><ESRI_ItemInformation Culture="en-us"><title>TEST </title><type>Form</type><typekeywords><typekeyword>Form</typekeyword><typekeyword>Survey123</typekeyword><typekeyword>Survey123 Hub</typekeyword><typekeyword>xForm</typekeyword></typekeywords><tags><tag>Survey123</tag></tags><thumbnail>thumbnail/image01.png</thumbnail><properties>{"versionInfo":{"created":{"build":"3.19.246","timestamp":1716536319562,"env":"prod"},"saved":{"build":"3.19.246","timestamp":1716790220628,"env":"prod"}}}</properties></ESRI_ItemInformation>

0 Kudos