Chrome Developer console warnings on several Portal pages - Deprecation of DOMNodeInserted (and upcoming removal)

2 weeks ago
RRC_GISServices
New Contributor II

Hi,

We have been experiencing a warning for a while when using Portal 11.2 / ArcGIS Online in Chrome or Microsoft Edge. 

I noticed yesterday that the wording had changed.

[Deprecation] Listener added for a 'DOMNodeInserted' mutation event.

This event type is deprecated, and will be removed from this browser very soon.

Usage of this event listener will cause performance issues today, and represents a large risk of future site breakage. Consider using MutationObserver instead.

See https://chromestatus.com/feature/5083947249172480 for more information.

The link in the warning states that these deprecated events will be disabled by default starting with Chrome 127 which is around late July 2024.

I tested manually disabling these events by going to chrome://flags/#mutation-events and switching it to disabled.

Disabling this did break a few components in our Portal site, notability the top navigation menu disappeared completely. There were also some issues with other pages as well.

I am assuming that this is the setting that will be disabled by default in Chrome 127 release and beyond.

The scripts that the dev console shows the warning for are esri-global-nav.js and mapmaker.js. I believe there are a few others as well.

Is this something to be concerned about with future Chrome releases post July? 

2 Replies
detteore
New Contributor

I hope this is something that ESRI is looking into. I am currently on the Beta channel for Chrome and have to disable via chrome flags to get the Nav Bar on portal or ArcGIS Online.

This could cause a lot of headaches when the stable channel gets updated.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yes and this affects any page, web app, etc, that still uses 'DOMNodeInserted' - basically anything that still references the DOM.  Not just Enterprise, but Online as well, including this very GeoNet page.

0 Kudos