ArcGIS Enterprise HA without a load balancer

05-17-2023 11:37 AM
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

I find the documentation a bit confusing on this topic.

Is it possible to implement an HA Enterprise deployment using only Web Adapter and not a 3rd party load balancer?  If so where is documentation for this 

@JonathanQuinn 

Personally, I do not see how Web Adapter is setup in front of two Portal machines.

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, when you configure your web-adaptor it references which are the machines in the Cluster and knows which is the active-node; so when the active-node fails it's health check from the passive-node it takes over and the Web-Adaptor gets it's response from that node.

There is some lag and potential down-time between the roll-over; but based on the configuration it is not horrible.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Bit of clarification; the Web Adaptor is aware of the machines in the site as it polls for them every minute. Once it knows which machines are part of the site, it uses round-robin requests to send traffic to each node; it doesn't prioritize sending traffic to the primary.

In terms of the documentation, a single web adaptor, on a single IIS instance, is a single point of failure, which is why that pattern is not described in the high availability documentation. Load balancers are typically fault tolerant, and if you want IWA, you'd put two web adaptors behind the load balancer.

DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for that clarification; I had seen in my firewalls the polling at the portal-server level but never thought to look for polling at the WA level also.

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you that clarifies things

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

Hey @JonathanQuinn sorry to be dense, but is it possible to just use the web adaptor component on each individual server, register those in the same site and achieve high availability? Or do you need a third party load balancer in front of two ArcGIS Servers that both have their own web adaptor and are registered together in one site?

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

@LanceKirby2 the thing is in that configuration you Web Adapters will all have different Urls.  So if something fails it goes not go to the one still running

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
LanceKirby2

Sorry @JoeHershman, can you clarify does it go to the one still running or doesn't go to the one still running? 

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

@LanceKirby2   In an HA configuration you need a single Url (DNS entry) that directs to the Web Adapters and also is used to federate.   This is the Url of the load balancer.  A request sent to that Url then goes to the load balancer which will send it to a running Web Adapter.  In the setup you describe each Web Adapter has it's own Url.  For example, WA1, WA2, WA3.  If WA1 goes down, the system is still up and running but the request sent to WA1 fails, it is not redirected to WA2.  That is one of the purposes of the load balancer (really the prime purpose in an ArcGIS Server deployment), to have a single DNS entry that will go to an up and running Web Adapter

Hope that helps 

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
LanceKirby2

Yes that lays it out clearly @JoeHershman! If I could ask a few more questions, are there any recommended load balancers by Esri for this kind of config? Could you share with me which one you use? Do you know of any blog or resource aside from the esri doc here that walks through the process of setting up a third party load balancer (would be great if it dealt with IIS)?

0 Kudos