Symbology of polygon layer with picture stroke is not reflected on Feature Service Layer (Portal 10.9)

09-21-2022 03:43 AM
Labels (2)
TomGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

To symbolize cliffs in a traditional way I created a png to be used for line features and the outer line of polygons. Within AGP everything works fine and the symbology is actually showing what I had in mind. However, sharing the feature layer as a web layer on our portal does end in a standard polygon with random filling... I wanted a custom outer line with a picture stroke and no filling at all.

TomGeo_0-1663756549455.png

I am sharing it as a hosted layer:

TomGeo_1-1663756659799.png

After sharing the layer I also cannot adjust the symbology and point to the image, because I would not know where the png was stored on the portal + I cannot select a picture for the outer line of a polygon in the first place.

How do I get my symbology shown in the portal?

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

This is likely unsupported and a limitation of hosted layers and they way the clients can render them. There is an ArcGIS Idea to allow complex symbology and some discussion about it there. The main takaway is that this symbology will not work in any web viewers or mobile apps, but you should be able to apply the symbology to the service if you pull it in to ArcGIS Pro.

TomGeo
by

Thanks for the Idea link and your explanation. I ended up in sharing the layer as 'Map Image', selecting 'Map Image under 'Copy all data', and that is good enough for my purpose. 🙂

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos