Configure web adaptor for Portal without fully qualified domain name?

Jump to solution
06-17-2022 05:33 PM
DeorajRamsaran4
New Contributor III

Hello all I am trying to create a Test environment with Arc GIS enterprise. I setup Arc GIS sever and was able to connect web adaptor using the machine name and was able to install portal, but once I get to the point of connecting web adaptor to the portal I get an error message letting me know I need a FQDN in order to get the portal to connect Web adaptor. Since I am doing this on one machine as a test env I don't have a domain name or an SSL cert. I generated a self signed cert and then bound the default site to the port 443 in the IIS manager. But should I be doing this with port 80? and not binding anything? I have done test env before with SSL certs and FQDN, but in this case I don't have either. Is their a way to do this with out the FQDN? Has anyone tried doing this? Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

I found a few documents and other pages which all point to the below example. When I setup server I was able to connect web adaptor using the machine name and it worked fine I entered the following in the setup window. https://desktop-mymachine:6443. But if I do the same for Portal I get the below message. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In the below picture I used as an example has a FQDN as you can see but the link I am using is https://desktop-mymachine:6443

I found an article to, I allocated a static IP to my Win10 machine, and used the hosts file to mimic a FQDN: for example    192.168.1.18 mytest-pc.fakedom. But I am not sure if this will work. 

webadaptorPortal.png

portal for arcgis issues.JPG

Deoraj Ramsaran
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A couple of suggestions.

1. Don't use hyphen (-) in your machine name.

2. You may change your machine name to mimic a FQDN (by using Primary DNS Suffix).

JayantaPoddar_0-1655541857981.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

DeorajRamsaran4
New Contributor III

Just wanted to let you know good catch taking the - out of the cpu name did the trick. While it's still a temporary solution. I can now show the entire enterprise system for a proof of concept and move on to a prod environment once I get the FQDN with SSL certs. Thanks! Appreciate the assistance. 

Deoraj Ramsaran

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A couple of suggestions.

1. Don't use hyphen (-) in your machine name.

2. You may change your machine name to mimic a FQDN (by using Primary DNS Suffix).

JayantaPoddar_0-1655541857981.png

Think Location
DeorajRamsaran4
New Contributor III

Thank you I am going to try these changes and give it a try. Will keep you updated

Deoraj Ramsaran
0 Kudos
DeorajRamsaran4
New Contributor III

Just wanted to let you know good catch taking the - out of the cpu name did the trick. While it's still a temporary solution. I can now show the entire enterprise system for a proof of concept and move on to a prod environment once I get the FQDN with SSL certs. Thanks! Appreciate the assistance. 

Deoraj Ramsaran