ArcGIS Enterprise Configuration at AWS machines local system.

01-24-2023 02:20 AM
VinayDevEsri
New Contributor

Need help in ArcGIS Enterprise Configuration at AWS machines local system. In the machine, ArcGIS Server is already I need to set up and configure ArcGIS Portal and Web Adapter. No Domain Name is available needs to configure with the machinename  and Public IP. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cdickerson
New Contributor III

Hi, I inherited a GIS that was being ran on AWS environment and have been managing it for about 5 years now. We run a five server array, which two are License Managers. We have Server and Portal on one EC2 instance and Image server on another. Our third is an application server.  We moved our SSL Cert. to a load balancer which I don't recommend. But because of this we have to register the Web Adaptor using private IPs. Working on changing this. The following are some questions I have, that will help myself and other assist.

1. If you have no domain, how are you and other going to be consuming content on your platform?
  2. Are you using elastic IPs? 
  3. If you are using Portal, do you plan on limiting access to HTTPs traffic only?
  4. Is any part of the system you are building, going to be open to the public? 
  5. Is your System a hybrid or all in the cloud?

0 Kudos
VinayDevEsri
New Contributor
  1. If you have no domain, how are you and other going to be consuming content on your platform? - We have the Public IP attached to the Machine.
  2. Are you using elastic IPs?  - No Fixed IP
  3. If you are using Portal, do you plan on limiting access to HTTPs traffic only? - No, It can be accessible with Http, and Https.
  4. Is any part of the system you are building, going to be open to the public?  - Yes, Some content, We will be consuming this content in the multiple application.
  5. Is your System a hybrid or all in the cloud?- All Cloud.

We have Dev machine in that we need to host ArcGIS enterprise will be consuming by multiple project's application development. 

0 Kudos
cdickerson
New Contributor III

Interesting deployment, I tried using the fixed public IP in one iteration of working on a development environment  and it didn't work. Is this a single machine deployment you are working on? If yes, when registering the web adaptor for Server you used that same Public IP you were trying to use for Portal?  You may want to check with tech. support and whether what you are attempting to do is possible. If you were able to get Server to work, it seems strange that Portal wouldn't. You might be able to configure your setup with a register Elastic IP but again it seems like you are missing a few pieces to have the system be able to work effectively. Almost all documentation I've looked at references the use of a domain.

Our setup we use AWS Route 53 to declare our domains and these are in turn tied back to the EC2 instances using and Elastic IP or Application Load Balancer. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance but there are just a few too many variables to diagnose a potential cause of what's not working. Feel free to reach back out if you are able to gets some direction of what you are working on.   

Cheers

Something to note: configuring using public IP may leave you a little more vulnerable to security threats.