Allow subfolder organization in Portal hosted layers

02-05-2024 08:16 AM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Currently if you publish a web layer to be hosted within Portal, it just goes into one gigantic trash can of published layers. It would be great if there was some ability to create structure and organization with the Hosted layers folder.

Our organization has taken all of our official layers and published them as hosted layers using the same naming convention that we use within SDE. This is great as it provides a similar browsing experience in the REST directory but if I publish additional layers, they get inserted and break up the order due to alphabetization. It would be far cleaner and easier to find a specific hosted layer if there were subfolders (Planning, Public Works, etc). Anyways, structure from chaos.

1 Comment
RandyCasey

@SteveCole I can relate to this. We did the same thing a couple of years ago and all our 100+ hosted layers can be a bit of a pain to manage, especially when you start counting view layers and map image layers of the source data. I've all but given up on viewing them from the AGS Manager (there's not much functionality there for hosted layers anyway) and have taken to just using either the AGS Admin console or the REST Services page, where I can Ctrl+F to search for my layers. Organization would be wonderful.