Accessing ArcGIS Pro on ArcGIS for student use

03-07-2018 04:09 AM
StevenAnderson
New Contributor

I purchased the ArcGIS for student use package however I think I may have made an error in my purchase. I was able to activate ArcGIS desktop fine using my activation code however I am unable to access ArcGIS pro as I need licensing permissions from my organisation. I was under the assumption that the student use package was for personal use in that I wouldn't need any external permissions, or am I mistaken and should I have purchased the personal use edition? Any guidance in getting ArcGIS Pro running would be greatly appreciated as I am extremely confused.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

You "purchased" ArcGIS for Desktop for Student use, interesting...from whom?

Are you at an academic institution?  If so, your ArcGIS Pro licensing would be delivered via your Institutions ArcGIS Online (AGOL) organizational accout.  They would provide you with the installation packages for ArcGIS Pro. Your licensing would be by named user linked to the AGOL account.

ArcGIS Pro does have Single Use licensing (via conversion from Named User seats on MyEsri portal)  and now Concurrent use licensing--but those are not the norm.

If at an Academic institution with a Esri Education program license, you'll need to figure out whom your campus contacts are. They'll be able to help you out with accessing ArcGIS Pro.

StevenAnderson
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure what you mean by from whom I "purchased", I got it here https://www.esri.com/en-us/store/arcgis-student-use

My intent was to have ArcGIS on my home computer for extra practice. I will check with my academic institution or if they are unable to help should I convert the license to a single use license?

Thanks

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

OK, that's new. Suspect it will be like the ArcGIS for Personal Use and that you will have access to the my.esri.com portal.

Not clear if you would pick up a Named User license or Single Use license for ArcGIS Pro as an Authorization code from My.Esri--or if you would get a Named User associated to your AGOL public account.

Lets ping the Education team as now I'm curious and others will likely also have this question.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

My guess is, as Stuart mentioned, setup for the student edition is similar to personal.  You will most likely need to set up an arcgis online account.  It is "your" organization then (just not an enterprise)  where you are the only names-used...level 2, so you can do everything.

check out ArcGIS Pro Resources | Esri   And then the "more information" link at the end of the list of items you get.  That opens up http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/getting-started-with-arcgis-pro.pdf       There is info about steps to get started and installed.    I did not see the same link in the student page ArcGIS For Student Use    But would think it is the same.

hope that helps.

AngelaGibson
New Contributor III

Actually institutions are supposed to be able to license the ArcGIS Pro through single-use, concurrent use, or named user license. An EVA code should act as a single-use license. Students shouldn't have to log with to the ArcGIS Online account to license their software.

0 Kudos