Select to view content in your preferred language

Start rule does not exist bug/error?

Jump to solution
01-25-2024 04:49 PM
VirtualM3D
Emerging Contributor

For some reason when I try to create/save styles when using rules, such as the "Building_From_Footprint" rules and most other rules I'm suddenly getting an error that reads "Start rule does not exist" and the building wont generate. This just seems to be happening out of the blue for no reason as of today when it was working fine yesterday.

Old projects and scenes which use styles are also throwing the error and not generating any more.

I have tried updating my libraries via the "Manage ESRI .lib" option, and tried creating a new workspace but even a new workspace throws the error!

FYI, Most of the rules (Such as plant distrubutor) also dont work, but never have out of the box.

I use the buildings generator for most projects and now they're all broken and throwing this error. any ideas? Surely a bug.

9JMr11qPg3.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @VirtualM3D 

Thank you for bringing this up! By default, rules in esri.lib are write-protected. That's the underlying reason for the described behavior. 

Saving of the style failed (there should be an error in the Log). If the selected style cannot be found in the rule file, the style name is preceded with "!!!". To circumvent the issue, please make the rule readable via the properties in the CE Navigator, before defining a style.

ThomasFuchs_4-1706257780160.png

💡Please note, that updates distributed through the "Manage ESRI.lib" option or updating to a new version of CE will overwrite any user changes in ESRI.lib. For editing, it is strongly recommended to create a copy of the project folder first.

ThomasFuchs_5-1706257814632.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @VirtualM3D 

Thank you for bringing this up! By default, rules in esri.lib are write-protected. That's the underlying reason for the described behavior. 

Saving of the style failed (there should be an error in the Log). If the selected style cannot be found in the rule file, the style name is preceded with "!!!". To circumvent the issue, please make the rule readable via the properties in the CE Navigator, before defining a style.

ThomasFuchs_4-1706257780160.png

💡Please note, that updates distributed through the "Manage ESRI.lib" option or updating to a new version of CE will overwrite any user changes in ESRI.lib. For editing, it is strongly recommended to create a copy of the project folder first.

ThomasFuchs_5-1706257814632.png

0 Kudos
VirtualM3D
Emerging Contributor

Thank you, this has fixed the issue. Odd that I hadn't had to do this previously and it just started now.

0 Kudos