CGA defined unavailable when exporting streets to Scene Layer Package

Jump to solution
12-12-2022 04:06 AM
Labels (1)
TelmaFernandes2
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

When I export the CityEngine model to scene layer package format and load it into ArcGIS Online the applied street rule is no longer visible. Any idea why?

Thank you so much!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @TelmaFernandes2 

We looked into why you still can't get the road texture when exporting to slpk.
Did you use the complete streets rule from here?
https://github.com/d-wasserman/Complete_Street_Rule/releases/tag/2.9.0
The rule uses a texture with an 8-bit greyscale encoding that is not supported by the SLPK exporter:

/Complete_Street_Rule-2.9.0/assets/Complete_Streets/Lanes/Asphalt003_2K_Color.jpg

Please use an image editing tool like MS Paint to save it as a 24-bit color image.

ThomasFuchs_0-1671473057664.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @TelmaFernandes2 

Thank you for your question. Esri scene layer packages (SLPK) are custom, web-optimized files that can be shared on ArcGIS Online and viewed with the WebScene Viewer. The procedurally generated geometry of the street rule is converted into a static format. Procedural model generation is not supported for scene layers.

Pleas finalize your street design in CityEngine before sharing the results as SLPKs.
Export SLPK (Esri Scene Layer Package)—ArcGIS CityEngine Resources | Documentation

0 Kudos
TelmaFernandes2
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.
I have already finished generating and configuring my streets through CGA. In cityengine everything appears ok. When I select my finalized streets and export the model to slpk I lose what I generated. Should I export in another format or is there some configuration in the export window that I should add?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply. When generating SLPKs the geometry is sorted hierarchically. This means that depending on the view distance, not all geometry is loaded. You populated the streets with a lot of cars. The car geometry is quite heavy. Please try to reduce the number of cars and export the streets again. This should make the streets visible.
If you want to see the whole geometry of the SLPK, open the file in ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Earth. 
3D Earth Map | Earth App for Desktop & Mobile | ArcGIS Earth (esri.com)

0 Kudos
TelmaFernandes2
New Contributor II

Thanks for the tip,

I tried to reduce the traffic but still can't get the road texture when I export to slpk. Any other way I can see the model in ArcGIS Online ?

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @TelmaFernandes2 

We looked into why you still can't get the road texture when exporting to slpk.
Did you use the complete streets rule from here?
https://github.com/d-wasserman/Complete_Street_Rule/releases/tag/2.9.0
The rule uses a texture with an 8-bit greyscale encoding that is not supported by the SLPK exporter:

/Complete_Street_Rule-2.9.0/assets/Complete_Streets/Lanes/Asphalt003_2K_Color.jpg

Please use an image editing tool like MS Paint to save it as a 24-bit color image.

ThomasFuchs_0-1671473057664.png

0 Kudos
TelmaFernandes2
New Contributor II

Thank you Thomas, it worked!!

0 Kudos