Downloading data

01-16-2023 12:22 PM
SilverstonePartners
New Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Business Analyst, and noticed that I can see, and manually download data for color-coded maps.  For example, if I have Median Income at the Block Group level, I can see and download all the data that are displayed on the map (Block group number and median income).  Is there a way to automatically query this data?  Perhaps through an API?  I'm just finding it tedious to move and re-center the map, then download - there has to be an easier way.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hello @SilverstonePartners, thank you for reaching out with your question. With Business Analyst, we have a few different options for querying demographic data for the purpose of exporting/downloading the data. To help provide options, can you please confirm for me if you are working with Business Analyst Web App or Business Analyst Pro? If using the Web App, which license type you are working with, Advanced or Standard?

0 Kudos
SilverstonePartners
New Contributor

Hi Cheryl, I believe it's Standard.  Under the "License" area of Settings, I have:

Essential Apps

Field Apps

Office Apps

ArcGIS Business Analyst Web and Mobile Apps Standard

ArcGIS Runtime Standard

0 Kudos
HelenThompson
Esri Contributor

Hi @SilverstonePartners 

There is an API for Business Analyst which is part of the broader developer tools. Data fro Business Analyst Web is hosted in ArcGIS Online and Living Atlas, and is accessible via data collections. This is an example of how to discover those collections for any of the 170+ counties worldwide using the geoenrichment engine:
https://developers.arcgis.com/documentation/mapping-apis-and-services/demographics/

If you don't want to use the API you can use geoenrichment or the analysis tools in Map Viewer Classic to snip out your data.

Hope this helps

Helen

Pronouns: she/her/hers
Follow me: Twitter @siaction | LinkedIn helensthompson
0 Kudos
SilverstonePartners
New Contributor

Hi Helen,

Thank you for the response here.  Apologies for my late reply!  It looks like this will provide me data about a specific lat/long, correct?  Is there any way to ping the API for information about a specific census block group?

0 Kudos
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Thank you for confirming @SilverstonePartners. Here are a couple options to consider for downloading data using BA Web App. Please let me know if these details help to answer your question, or feel free to explain your goal further. 

• Create sites to use for running reports
    • You can create sites based on a point, based on standard geographies (like block groups), or hand draw an area. Please see the Create sites resource for details. 
    •  Example: Use Select Geography workflow to create sites for each census tract in a specific county.                      

CherylHagevik_0-1673974692702.png

• Create Comparison reports
    • After creating your sites, go to Comparison reports to display data for the areas. Use the drop down for Esri report templates. You can also export the data to Excel immediately. 
    • With Comparison reports, you have the ability to create your own custom list of variables to include in the report. Just use the option for +Create new report and use the Data Browser to create your custom list. 

CherylHagevik_4-1673975621238.png

• Create infographics and reports
    • With a Standard license, you can also use premade templates that are available for infographics and reports. Classic reports are helpful for exporting larger amounts of data to excel for a particular site or area. 

CherylHagevik_2-1673975388450.png

0 Kudos
SilverstonePartners
New Contributor

HI Cheryl,

You replied to this awhile ago but I've just had a chance more recently to fully explore.  What you suggested worked, however am I limited to 100 records, i.e. 100 Census Block groups?  Is there any way to expand this?  I tried this with Travis County in Texas, and there were 700+ block groups but the downloaded excel only had 100 records.

0 Kudos
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi @SilverstonePartners With the Comparison Reports workflow, you should be able to add up to 1000 sites and then export the data to Excel. Canyou please confirm if you were working with Comparison Reports and if so, how many variables did you add to the report with your 700+ sites?

0 Kudos
SilverstonePartners
New Contributor

@CherylHagevik  - thank you for reply.  You are correct.  I had not selected the right sites.  Problem solved - all good from my end!

0 Kudos
SilverstonePartners
New Contributor

Thank you @CherylHagevik  and @HelenThompson for your replies!  I will do my best to figure this out - greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos