Terrain Dataset Projection

03-17-2011 07:55 AM
ShaneDolph
New Contributor
I have generated some Terrains from Lidar data in UTM projection.  Someone else wants to use these same terrain datasets, but would like them in State Plane coordinates.  Is it possible to reproject a terrain dataset?  Or would I have to convert the terrain to a raster and then reproject it?  When I try to convert the terrain to a raster, I get an "out of memory" error every time.  If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.  Thanks.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Shane,

It's not possible to project a Terrain dataset.  There are two approaches:

1.  Convert to raster and project it all in one shot.  The Terrain to Raster tool honors Output Coordinate System setting in the Environment Settings.
2.  Project the source features in the geodatabase and recreate the Terrain.

As for the out of memory error, please go to the Environment Settings > Terrain Dataset and turn the option "on" to mimimize memory use during analysis on terrains.  This should prevent it from giving you that error.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
MichaelGarcia-Carreras
New Contributor
My first thought on the memory issue was to consider foreground vs. background geoprocessing.

From http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00210000003q000000.htm

"When working with large datasets, some geoprocessing tools, particularly those that use tiled processing, need as much of your computer resources (memory and CPU) as you can make available. If a tool you submitted for background processing fails because there is not enough memory available (error "000426: Out Of Memory" or error "999998: Unexpected Error"), you can try the following:

1. Identify and exit nonessential memory-intensive applications.
2. Disable background processing from the Geoprocessing Options dialog box (Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options). This shuts down the background process and frees up resources.
3. Rerun the tool.

By following the above procedure, background processing is bypassed; the additional background process does not start, and the resources it would consume are now available for your tool to make use of. While the tool is executing, avoid starting any memory-intensive applications."

Mike G-C
0 Kudos