Split 3D polyline at a known point?

3 weeks ago
SeanBemis1
New Contributor II

I'm working with 3D polylines that I've mapped on a 3D model in a local scene. For subsequent analysis, I would like to crop or split each of the polylines that intersect a sphere, which I've constructed as a 3D multipatch. I can generate a feature class of intersection points for each 3D polyline using the 'Intersect 3D with Multipatch' tool, but I can't figure out how to actually split the polylines at that intersection point.

*IF* I can split the polylines, I think I have the rest of the functions mapped out that I need - so I'd really appreciate any ideas for tools I haven't found, workarounds, or snippets of code that could help me to perform a function like this split I've described.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SeanBemis1
New Contributor II

I haven't performed this operation yet - but the first workaround I'm going to try is as follows:

1) Use Generate Points Along Line to generate densely-spaced points along each 3D polyline, retaining the attributes of the corresponding line.

2) Use Intersect 3D to isolate the 3D points within my 3D multipatch sphere

3) Use the Points to Line tool to recreate 3D polylines from the 3D points, separating polylines based on an attribute.

Hope to test drive this in the next couple days. Would be happy to hear any improvements on this workflow if you have them!

0 Kudos
SeanBemis1
New Contributor II

UPDATE!

Step (1) worked great.

Step (2) did not work - it requires that both inputs be multipatch. Instead, I used 'Inside 3D' to identify all the points lying within the sphere, and am now working on the best workflow for using the table generated by the Inside 3D tool to create a new point shapefile from those points identified as 'Inside'.

Step (3) requires attention to managing attribute fields with IDs/codes to ensure which collections of points know that they belong together as a line when regenerated.

0 Kudos
sjones_esriau
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Intersect 3D Lines with Multipatch will probably work for you.

0 Kudos
SeanBemis1
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, 'Intersect 3D Lines with Multipatch' only works with multipatch inputs. I was unable to enter a polyline shapefile as input features. If you have a suggestion on how I could reformat my 3D points or polylines so that they would work for that tool, while retaining point or polyline geometries, it'd be super helpful! The 'Intersect 3D' tool has the same limitations. I'll reply to my earlier reply with modifications to my workflow that is working.

0 Kudos