Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Online - Map - Grouping of multiple services

09-01-2015 09:51 AM
RobO_Loughlin
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am creating "themed" "out of the box" Web AppBuilder viewers using ArcGIS services created in ArcMap10.3.

I am having difficulties getting the layout that I want.

I have multiple themed services with different layers in each service. e.g. an Archaeological service with Archaeological layers, Architectural service with Architectural layers, etc., etc..

However, I would like some of these layers to be used with multiple services, e.g. I would like some of the Architectural layers to be used with the Archaeological service and vice versa.

I was hoping to use the "Map" in ArcGIS Online to be able to add the main service and then specific layers from different services and place these within the main service, (like a tree folder structure). Unfortunately, it seems like this is not possible? It only allows for services to moved up/down the list but not to be added to another service folder. Has anyone some knowledge of a way to do this?

I know I can do this by creating an mxd with all the layers needed already publishing this as a service but I do have quite a number of layers and services which are being constantly updated and for effective data/time management I would like to only use a layer once.

Below is a visual representation of what I would like:

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

Rob, I'm not aware that this can be done.  I have asked Esri at the UC and they are aware of the need.  However, I would love to find a way to do this if there is some fancy way to hack this.

Frank

NartTamash
New Contributor III

I also think that one of the top enhancements for the map viewer in ArcGIS Online/Portal is the need to virtually group layers in groups, sub-groups, etc, regardless of the service structure. I ended up duplicating services just because one app/map requires a slightly different layer list structure than the other.

This also affects Web App Builder as any app you build is based on the underlying map.

I've seen this being requested over and over again ever since ArcGIS Online came out, but still nothing.

FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

To vote for this idea on ideas.esri.com please go here and vote.  Every vote counts:

http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000005HKMIA2