Size of feeder main to each hydrant.

09-25-2018 11:20 AM
Labels (1)
LouToscano
New Contributor III

For the 2800 hydrants in town, I need to find the sizes of the feeder water mains.  The hydrant is usually connected to a length of pipe, then a valve, then a tee.  It is the size of the mains connected to the tees that I need.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

Lou,

We used to store that as an attribute with hydrants and was manually updated.  If you have implemented a geometric network or the new utility network you could calculate it.  Another solution might be to find teh nearest water main feature and grab the size that way. Finding the nearest feature—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
LouToscano
New Contributor III

WOW. Didn’t know we had that already!! ---PIPE_DIA oy!

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!

Louis L. Toscano Jr.

Senior GIS Technician, Compliance and Technology

Brick Utilities

1551 Hwy. 88 West

Brick, New Jersey 08724-2399

732-458-7000 ext. 4242

Ltoscano@brickmua.com

0 Kudos
MartinPflanz
Esri Contributor

Lou,

The hydrant lateral lines are typically a standard diameter size.  Sometimes the diameter of the lateral may change depending on the size of the hydrant though.  Would it be possible to chat with your operations or the engineering/planning group to determine if there are any standards in place for the hydrant assemblies?  That may save a lot of additional effort, then just apply global to all or filter based on hydrant size, if necessary.  The nearest water main may be a few sizes larger than the hydrant lateral itself, so applying the standard from engineering/operations may be the more accurate play.  If you are concerned about the length of the lateral, you could start with setting them to the average length then enhance precision down the road.  Hydraulically the short length of the fire hydrant laterals will have negligible impact on headloss calculations - don't worry you are not alone, its a typical headache when dealing with many hydrants/laterals - answering the unknown.

Respectfully,

Martin  

0 Kudos
LouToscano
New Contributor III

The GIS guru who worked here let me know of a field in the hydrant feature class (PIPE_DIA) that has this data already; I had seen it before but never had to use it.

Thank you for thoughts and hints you have given,

Danke,

Louis L. Toscano Jr.

Senior GIS Technician, Compliance and Technology

Brick Utilities

1551 Hwy. 88 West

Brick, New Jersey 08724-2399

732-458-7000 ext. 4242

Ltoscano@brickmua.com

0 Kudos