Select to view content in your preferred language

Dissolve Water Mains At Valves

07-20-2010 12:44 PM
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III
Anyone know of a good (free) tool(s) for dissolving a water main system in ArcGIS, our data model is very asset oriented and thus has alot of segments, there are many advantages to skeletonizing the model.
Trying with various 'out of the box' processes (dissolve, etc) but the results aren't getting me what I need.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III
You can try the unsplit tool. I'm not sure if it requires an ArcInfo license (what I'm currently running), but it's worth a shot.
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
Criag,
  Take a look at this tool.  I will see if I can get this on the list for 10.
http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/ArcGISDesktop/com/samples/Editing/working_with_network_features/m...
0 Kudos
VanessaSimpson
New Contributor
Try merging into multipart, then exploding if you are doing a whole system....as long as the attributes allow
0 Kudos
TylerKiehle
New Contributor III
C_Martin,
     I'm starting to work on doing the same thing.  I looked at the script mmiller suggested but it's not going to work for me.  Also, my attributes don't allow me to go the multipart and explode option.   Did you find a simple solution to your problem?  If so, can you share your solution with us on this thread?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II
I did this to create common names I followed the following steps..

1. convert lines to centroids using the polypoint tool in GME(I used GME to keep the point on the line and I did this to get better joins with the road centreline)
2. Spatial join with suburbs
3. Spatial Join with Road centrelines
4. Attribute join with the source data
5. Claculate field (PipeMaterial & "_" & Year(DateConstructed) & "_" & RoadName & "_" & Suburbname)
End Result (CICL_1970_Smith Str_Jacksontown)

its not perfect but we then have about 1/5 the amount of records to review when looking at breaks per meter and other values such as this..
0 Kudos